NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alignment Troubles...

Hi,
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to the imaging side of astronomy. I have a celestron nexstar 4se but I'm having trouble with the polar alignment. I've done everything the manual has said. Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to do this properly. I would really like to image a nebula in the future but I can't do this with sorting my telescope out.

Hi Jennifer and welcome to SGL.

I'm sure you will soon get a lot of replies on sorting out your issue, you've certainly come to the right place as everyone here are so friendly and helpful.

Look forward to seeing your images when you do get it sorted.

Jennifer, can I ask if you mean polar alignment which requires a wedge, or the more common star alignment used for these scopes in alt-azimuth configuration? I have a 6se which I use alt-az. I had read the wedge wasn't very effective so haven't tried it yet.

Joe

Given an alt-az mount then I'm afraid you're going to struggle to image nebulae with a scope such as the 4SE.  The slow focal ratio of the scope combined with the alt-az motion of the mount (as opposed to equatorial) means you'll struggle to capture enough light before field rotation becomes noticeable no matter how well-aligned it is, and most nebulae do need plenty of exposure time.  You might be better off playing to the system's strengths and imaging clusters which should need far less time for a single frame, or solar system targets such as the Moon and planets.

James

watch these 2 cliips,explains it in easy terms ans maybe help you understand a bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plx6XXDgf2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HVDKAZ6eM

I'll  will refer user's, new  to visual observation, these two videos, in support of why they need a Dobsonian? I only used my 127EQ for a couple of nights,  the constant adjusting was just too much for visual use. But all this adjusting is essential for photography. 

You can't actually polar align an alt/az mount. However you can set your latitude with it by pointing at the pole star. But as mentioned above, it does require the mount to be perfectly level, or the finding accuracy will get screwed up. I use a spirit level or a pre calibrated digital angle gauge to get the base level.

You can of course turn an alt/az mount into an equatorial mount with the use of a wedge - in which case polar alignment and wedge alignment are both an essential part of overall alignment. However - for observing use only, you can get away with pointing the wedge north and just setting the your latitude to get reasonable accuracy. In both cases you need to do a star alignment. Hth :)

Archived