Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The problem with modding one, which I have found, is it is difficult trying to stop the lens getting dirty once you open the thing up. Modded one recently and tbh I think I might just go buy a 'clean' one that is ready to use.

Modified webcams come up fairly regularly on ABS (www.astrobuysell.com/uk) (note - just read hobsey's post ).  There are also some commercial products around in a similar price range to what some astro-webcams go for

e.g.

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-starshoot-usb-eyepiece-camera-ii-52183.htm

and

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-starshoot-solar-system-color-imager-iv.htm

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008NJMIY6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0093VH9UQ&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0MYYZGKC6M64T0F74C2N

though I haven't got experience with them.  I modded a Microsoft LifeCam ("Studio"), which wasn't too much of a hassle but cost a bit more than those options (£46 for the webcam, £16 for the replacement casing, £20 for a UV/IR filter).  The Xbox mod looks easy though.

Billetparts (where I got my replacement casing from) list modded xbox webcams, though currently out of stock:

http://www.billetparts.co.uk/catalog/modified-microsoft-xbox-live-camera-p-160.html

as for dust on the sensor - a bulb blower (or similar product) should shift it no worries.

You can buy a new xBox webcam on eBay delivered for under £5. It takes about 10 minutes to do the mod, very simple and very quick.

Plus if you mess it up, so what it's not even £5 wasted. Don't think I would pay £30 for an xBox webcam as the cam is so cheap to start with and not sure how they compare to the pricier cams.

Dust bunnys on camera sensors 

you can remove them using a rocket blower, a device used to clean out DSLR cameras. 

Modding cameras, 

i like to say i love pulling things apart, breaking ,,,,, opps i mean fixing things that are not broken lol.

webcams are a little delicate so a few items you need before, you crack open the cameras. 

Masking tape : use a small square to cover the sensor, when you UNSCREW the lens your left with a big open window.

so tape over the window stops dust getting in. DO NOT tape over the sensor itself just the hole left from lens removal.

Tubs: plastic tubs and one with a lid. while your NOT working on the camera place it into the clean tub and pop the lid on.

you have to micromanage your work. doing one thing while keeping everything clean and dust free. dont be doing this

while the wife hoovers the living room and bakes the evening meal, find somewhere dust free, the man cave forget it.

dining room table and ban everyone from entering for a hour.

when you come to final assembly, make sure you have to hand a UV/IR CUT FILTER  ( you can get these to fit into a 1.25" eyepiece )

most scopes are 1.25 eyepieces. so a filter will help. this will keep ALL DUST away from your camera. 

place the filter in your Nose piece on the camera, be it a 35mm film canister etc etc. 

this filter also blocks IR light so your camera will be just like before you pulled it apart.

start cheap something like a £3 xbox cam from that well known website you can buy anything from.

once you have learnt to hack apart a cheap camera and it still works, you can step up in camera and start looking at 1080P - 720P

HD webcams . they are nearly all the same just shove a nosecone on the front, pull out the autofocus lens ( cut/break a couple solder-wire traces)

and you just have a more expensive and better quality camera system.

Archived