Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Complete newbie and need help on what telescope to get

Ok so to make it simple I have no knowledge of telescopes or any of the information on them. I did search this area before posting but it didn't seem like any 1 else was in the same position as me.

As such I would rather not just buy one without advice.

Its for myself and my 4 year old son. he was bought a telescope for Christmas a science worx one (I suppose that's enough said lol).

Anyway we would like to be able to get good views of the moon and its craters etc and see other planets/moons in the solar system if possible.

Realistically I would like to stick to a max budget of £80-100 Ithink this is a realistic entry price into the hobby.

I am not adverse to second hand but cannot view classifieds here and most are probably out of my range anyways :(

Theres a currys near me that sells them

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/accessories/binoculars/346_3797_31507_xx_xx/_xx-criteria.html

However I haven't the foggiest if there any good.

All suggestions and links are welcome

thank you very much in advance

Just a quick update through suggested links on this site I found astro buy and sell and on a quick search found these

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?typechoice%5B%5D=Telescope-Refractor&titlechoice%5B%5D=For+Sale&statuschoice%5B%5D=Active&minprice=50&maxprice=100

From a quick google some of them seem to give good shots of planets and moon would you recommend these or a new one??

Would like to order tomorrow realistically for my sons birthday

The two best scopes that fit your budget are http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html and the http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html they each have there good and bad points but are excellent value, optically the 100P wins on most objects.

Sorry wrong link now corrected

Alan

I bought the Skywatcher 130p Heritage for my 4 year old to use with help from me, who is madly into space as well as dinosaurs :).

I really is a great little scope to get started with if you can stretch the budget.  She loves it and joins me when its not a school night.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

I bought the Skywatcher 130p Heritage for my 4 year old to use with help from me, who is madly into space as well as dinosaurs :).

I really is a great little scope to get started with if you can stretch the budget.  She loves it and joins me when its not a school night.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

hmm 3 suggestions I felt I was stretching when it came to £100 and he could loose interest in a month (mine also loves dinosaurs :D )

would you guys say go new or used always? because if I were to go second hand im sure there are bargains out there, but that would mean help from you guys because as stated I know nothing on this topic.

Getting a scope second hand is fine and some bargains to be had,  but just be careful about your purchase and condition of the scope before parting with your cash. I am sure others will have some more helpful options and advice! :)

ok so a sugested link is for second hand telescopes and in a search like 5 or 6 came up. would you guys see if there any good you just have to scroll down a bit its not the yellow boxed ones.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?typechoice%5B%5D=Telescope-Refractor&titlechoice%5B%5D=For+Sale&statuschoice%5B%5D=Active&minprice=50&maxprice=100

What are these like compared to the :

Skywatcher 130p Heritage

Skywatcher Heritage-100P

also between those 2 is there a big difference for £31?

any other suggestions was hoping more telescopes recommended would be around the £80 mark lol

FInally what about the currys telescopes?

found this one too when looking at skywatchers its an explorer 130p eq2

on sale because box is slightly "scruffy"

I gues it seems more appealing as its description is almost identical but its on a tripod instead of stand and it doesn't have the open space in it.

whats your opinions??

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/sgl-clearance/sw130p_PROD-6095.html

sorry for all my questions but it seems the more I read the more questions I have :p and I don't know how to edit so couldn't put it in my last post

Stay away from currys. I bought one from Amazon and although it does the job, I wouldn't buy from them again. I use a Tasco 'Spacestation' but it feels too light, bit fragile. Wish I had got some more advice so you are doing the right thing on here.

Buy from a proper retailer if you can, at least that way they can give you a bit of advice face to face.

Good luck.

I gues it seems more appealing as its description is almost identical but its on a tripod instead of stand and it doesn't have the open space in it.

whats your opinions??

sorry for all my questions but it seems the more I read the more questions I have :p and I don't know how to edit so couldn't put it in my last post

Hi yep fine scope same mirror as 130p heritage, different mount but a great starter scope and at a lower price, Flo very reliable and know what they are on about. A dedicated astronomy/scope shop miles better than currys/amazon too ( in my opinion). :)

Hi yep fine scope same mirror as 130p heritage, different mount but a great starter scope and at a lower price, Flo very reliable and know what they are on about. A dedicated astronomy/scope shop miles better than currys/amazon too ( in my opinion). :)

so for a 4 year old up to maybe 10 I hope it lasts that long is a mount better than a stand. after reading a lot many people say get a barlow x2 lens what is this and is it worth it at around £30 or will we be ok until later on?

Finally do I need to worry about "collimation"??

if you buy a Newtonian reflector you will need to collimate it at some point, a Cheshire collimator is always recommended, a 2x barlow increases the magnification of the eyepiece and can be helpful but I would get used to the eyepieces supplied and assess what else is required from there, for ease of use the heritage base (Dobsonion) on a table top  is great, less set up time and a grab and go, with the  EQ2 more prep time although when familiar it will get quicker. :)

whats your opinions??

this would be the safer option rather than seconhand especially if you are totally new to this,collimation would probably scare you off for a first timer

the 130 should last a long time for both of you to use,hieght wise ..get him a stool to kneel on he will grow into it lol

a barlow gets you closer views but see how you get on with the supplied eyepieces first,and maybe pick up a barlow later along with a few eyepieces

For my pennys worth may I suggest you find a local astronomy group where you will have the ability to look at a few scopes and have a play with them as well. The main thing with this hobby is that if you get hooked you want more. The basic principle is the larger the mirror the more light, so with a larger scope you will of course see more as such. With the little one you have to balance the issue of interest and how they move on. You don't always need a scope to start out, the naked eye is a wonderful thing and children love myths and legends, you can google a lot about the stars, maybe print off some easy constellations you both could look at then gather information about certain stars etc.

It can be an expensive old hobby at the best of times, have a look at the local astronomy group thing first then get a rough idea of what you think you can handle and what level you want to hit at, waiting a year and saving what you can will make all the difference. Best wishes to you both.

Peter,

Further to what proflight said, I would suggest you also check whether your local astronomy group/society rents out scopes.

My own own lends out various scopes ranging from small refractors to newtonian/dobsonian reflectors at nominal fees of £4-6/month.

That way you do not have to make any large outlay, save for the membership fee and scope rental.

You would also have the opportunity to chat first hand with folks who all went through a similar learning curve.

Best of luck

ok so as an update I haven't ordered yet but tested my sons scienceworx telescope more and my brothers national geographic one which was a bit better.

Obviously both aren't very good but I spent 30 mins out doors with them to make sure what we need from a telescope.

What I feel we need is:

1. something that is stable my son is 4 so when he looks and taps or knocks it I don't want it to swing around or fall.

2. not produce triple or double images. by this I mean when looking through the scope even if you get the focus just right you get, these refelctions or doubles that appear just above or below.

3. the viewing hole you are looking through not to be tiny and like 2-5 mm wide as my son will struggle alot to get a decent look.

4. for what we used you often  had to adjust how you looked into the viewing hole to see the moon or star as it was reflected off a mirror and the light often caused issues when viewing as it bounced around in there.

5. it would be nice to be able to view, for example the moon as a whole with decent detail then simply swap an eye piece and get a much closer view whilst not having to unscrew anything and loose where we were.

will a skywatcher 100p be enough and suit these issues or is the extra £30 on a 130p really justifiable?

oh and when an eyepiece says 1.25" is that its length or the diameter of the viewing hole?

or are there other options I haven't considered or been mentioned???

p.s thank you everyone for your help so far :D

Archived