Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT Problems

Geuse

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the advice. Russe I will give that a go when I get home and Guillermo it was the Digic2 version I installed. I will have another pop at it tonight, it's so frustrating though. Will also try the eos utility.

Should I not get it to work is there any other software that people could recommend? I had a look at Backyard Eos last night but again I don't think it's supported on Win8.

Thanks for all the advice. Russe I will give that a go when I get home and Guillermo it was the Digic2 version I installed. I will have another pop at it tonight, it's so frustrating though. Will also try the eos utility.

Should I not get it to work is there any other software that people could recommend? I had a look at Backyard Eos last night but again I don't think it's supported on Win8.

I doubt that any software will work. The problem is not in APT or EOS Utility, but in the camera driver. Sometimes APT makes a connection to 350D, but it is so limited that nothing sensible can be made with this connection, that I have made APT simply to disconnect and to say that there is problem...

Of course, give a try of EOS Utility, but don't expect too much ;)

XP is other beer :D the main problem is in the bits -> 64bits + Digic II = problems :(

Not for the 400D. Runs fine on 64bit Windows 8.1.

I guess it's specific for the 350D.

What the OP can try first, is connect the camera and see if it shows up in explorer and able to browse on the camera image folders.

How is it going Guese?

Hi,

So i put it into pc mode and tried to access the camera but it doesnt even display. I switched it back to print mode and lo and behold the camera shows up and you can access it.

I done a quick google search and found this page which seems to suggest this is normal!?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/canon-eos-350d-camera-dont-connect-to-windows-7/23137c7e-ec79-489c-989b-7cff1d1397e0

Hi,

So i put it into pc mode and tried to access the camera but it doesnt even display. I switched it back to print mode and lo and behold the camera shows up and you can access it.

I done a quick google search and found this page which seems to suggest this is normal!?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/canon-eos-350d-camera-dont-connect-to-windows-7/23137c7e-ec79-489c-989b-7cff1d1397e0

Hi again

It looks like that will just allow you to access the camera as if it was an external drive. It will probably only allow you to download pictures from the camera. It probably won't allow you to control the camera and remotely take pictures I'm afraid. I think probably a 32-bit virtual machine is the only way to go. Or better still, a newer model Canon.

Louise

Hi again

It looks like that will just allow you to access the camera as if it was an external drive. It will probably only allow you to download pictures from the camera. It probably won't allow you to control the camera and remotely take pictures I'm afraid. I think probably a 32-bit virtual machine is the only way to go. Or better still, a newer model Canon.

Louise

Louise,

Yeah i think i am starting to realise that.

I think after splashing the cash i have already that the virtual machine might be the way to go just now. Now to figure out how to do ! 

I was just checking out Nebulosity website and stumbled on this:

My Canon DSLR no longer connects (Nebulosity 3.1 and later)
Supporting Canon's DSLRs is a bit of a moving target and there are two problems here. First, for DIGIC II cameras like the Rebel XT (350D), Canon doesn't provide system drivers for Windows 7 and there's nothing I can do about that. If that's your issue, run Windows XP, OS X, or look at another camera. If the operating system can't talk to the device, Nebulosity can't.
So that's where the problem lies. The 350D is a Rebel XT, while my Canon 400D is the Rebel XTi that appearently was still within support when Windows 7 released and got system drivers. (which then also work on Windows 8)
Hence, why I don't run into these problems with my 400D on Windows 8.1.

If you look in the below table:

350D / XT DIGIC II 22.2×14.8 8.0 6.4 100-1600 27% CF       50,000 2005 Q1 0.54 NB-2LH Yes   (2) 400D / XTi DIGIC II 22.2×14.8 10.1 5.7 100-1600 30% CF       50,000 2007 Q1 0.51 NB-2LH Yes   (2)

Then you see there is two years difference between the 350D and 400D.  Which is about right, as I bought the 400D brandnew in 2007 when it was just released.

Windows 7 released in october 2009. So it's not unthinkable that Canon didn't bother with new system drivers for a 4 year old camera. Where as the 400D was just barely 2 years old at the time and had a greater chance to get system drivers for Windows 7.

Which it indeed did, as I have no problems with my Canon 400D on Windows 8.1 64bit.

I just recently re-installed and thus run a clean Windows 8.1 installation. No Canon software has been installed (in fact, I haven't installed any Canon software since I bought the camera in 2007). So the system drivers came automatically via Windows Update, when connecting the camera for first time.

I hope this gives a better Insight.

So if you want to use Your Canon 350D problem free, the only Choice you have is to install either a Virtual machine or a dualboot installation of Windows XP 32bit.

Tho, understand that Windows XP is reaching end of support and will soon no longer get any Security updates anymore. It is, after all, a 12 year old OS now.

Kind of glad this thread came up again as i think i have made the decision to just upgrade my camera and i wondered what suggestions/advice people would have about upgrading too?

Kind of glad this thread came up again as i think i have made the decision to just upgrade my camera and i wondered what suggestions/advice people would have about upgrading too?

Depends on what you want to Upgrade to and what Your Budget is?

If you want to stick to DSLR, then you could have a look here:

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

I am trying to save up for a CCD myself, but if in June my Budget might not be up to it, my "personal" alternative would be an Astro modified Canon 600D. As I would use it for Astro only anyway.

I think that camera is best bang for buck to buy at the moment, that gives very good results for an affordable DSLR! Has a good QE for a DSLR and very low noise levels.

If you look in the below table:

350D / XT DIGIC II 22.2×14.8 8.0 6.4 100-1600 27% CF       50,000 2005 Q1 0.54 NB-2LH Yes   (2) 400D / XTi DIGIC II 22.2×14.8 10.1 5.7 100-1600 30% CF       50,000 2007 Q1 0.51 NB-2LH Yes   (2)

Then you see there is two years difference between the 350D and 400D.  Which is about right, as I bought the 400D brandnew in 2007 when it was just released.

Windows 7 released in october 2009. So it's not unthinkable that Canon didn't bother with new system drivers for a 4 year old camera. Where as the 400D was just barely 2 years old at the time and had a greater chance to get system drivers for Windows 7.

Which it indeed did, as I have no problems with my Canon 400D on Windows 8.1 64bit.

I just recently re-installed and thus run a clean Windows 8.1 installation. No Canon software has been installed (in fact, I haven't installed any Canon software since I bought the camera in 2007). So the system drivers came automatically via Windows Update, when connecting the camera for first time.

I hope this gives a better Insight.

So if you want to use Your Canon 350D problem free, the only Choice you have is to install either a Virtual machine or a dualboot installation of Windows XP 32bit.

Tho, understand that Windows XP is reaching end of support and will soon no longer get any Security updates anymore. It is, after all, a 12 year old OS now.

You are totally right! Till now I thought that there is no big difference between the two cameras.

I should maybe off added i dont have huge amount of money to throw at this and have been eyeing up:

Canon 600D

Canon 1200D

Canon 1100D

I would suggest 550D or 600D both gives the best of the Digic IV generation (when we speak for astro imaging). 600D has advantage of better cooling because of the rotating screen. 550D has 1:1 pixel mode for 640x480 video clips which is better if you plan to try planetary imaging :)

Archived