Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My worst attempt at astronomy to date...

Gomtuu

I was driving up to the Peak District at the weekend for a huge family gathering for my mother's 70th birthday. Bearing in mind the weather forecast, I thought it would be a great idea to take my 200pds with me to take advantage of the beautifully clear skies. I could show the wonders of the night sky to my nieces and nephews and get a much clearer image of Jupiter to boot.

I put it in the boot of the car, with my EQ5 and all the other necessary equipment, and off I went. I got as far as Bristol before my car started to lose power and die on me. I had to get to Derbyshire, so I ended up grabbing everything I could carry and leaving the car in a garage, where it is currently having its cyclinder head removed.

Sure enough, with my scope languishing in a car boot in Bristol, the clear Peak District skies taunted me mercilessly. I finally made it back to Devon, where the skies are also clear now. I'm willing to bet that when I finally get my scope back, it will be just in time for a month-long cloud festival.

Still, at least Mum had a great birthday!

There's a law that perfectly describes your weekend. What a shame to miss the skies but at least you didn't miss your mums 70th, that would have been worse. Weather is supposed to hold a for a few weeks yet, so hopefully you're okay. 

Archived