Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 08/03/2014

cgarry

It seems ages since I have managed to produce a planetary image so I was determined to press on last night, even if the seeing and wind were against me.  I tried to give the collimation a tweak as is my usual routine but the star test was so bad I could not tell if the scope was in collimation or way out of collimation.  I just left it as it was.

One advantage of the night was there was no dewing problems what so ever, everything remained bone dry.  It is not often I get to use the C14 with no dew shield or heater and get away with it.

This is the image I managed in the end, nothing special but about as good as I could expect with the conditions.

post-9259-0-88814700-1394389616.jpg

Jupiter (South upwards) - 100% capture size.

Cambridge, UK.

08 Mar 2014 - 21:37 UT

This is a debayered version of the video capture for comparison:

Cheers,

Chris

Nice going Chris despite the poor seeing - struggled with my own star tests last night and was definitely making things worse. Wish I could get some raw data like your video :)

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments guys.  I think the reduced size of the video playback makes it look better, though that was the best capture of the night.  Lots of 12 minute captures with 640 x 480 frames and 111 frames per second very quickly fill up a hard drive!

Cheers,

Chris

Intresting Chris, conditions are against us but the avi seems much the same view that ive been getting over the same period, but correct collimation I understand is quite difficult on the c14? & are you using any cooling method on your scope ie fans etc!

Intresting Chris, conditions are against us but the avi seems much the same view that ive been getting over the same period, but correct collimation I understand is quite difficult on the c14? & are you using any cooling method on your scope ie fans etc!

I use a Lymax SCT cooler for initial cool down and occasionally between imaging runs.  In my experience C14s definately need some form of cooling to get anything half decent out of them.  I will soon be fitting 4 fans (when they are delivered) that will be able to continuously run while imaging, though that will require disassembling the scope and drilling holes for them.  I am not looking forward to that!

Chris

Archived