Just Ordered My First Telescope !

Thanks to everyone posting on this forum. Your advice over the last few weeks has been invaluable. 

Have just ordered my 10" Skywatcher GOTO Dobsonian

Cheers all!

Thanks to everyone posting on this forum. Your advice over the last few weeks has been invaluable. 

Have just ordered my 10" Skywatcher GOTO Dobsonian

Cheers all!

Good choice there...

I have not tried the 250P but have borrowed a 200P and that was impressive.

Now think about better eyepieces but don't rush to buy, but do try some out.

The standard ones that come with the scope are OK for starters but sooner or later you will want to upgrade. That's where I'm at right now after several months of having a scope.

Ade

Be really interested in your opinion of this scope as it is what I am thinking of....when are you getting? Is this a first scope? Good luck & please feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be really interested in your opinion of this scope as it is what I am thinking of....when are you getting? Is this a first scope? Good luck & please feedback

Don't. Get the 8'' instead: cheaper, lighter, easier to collimate, less fussy on eyepieces, potentially a better quality mirror, and it'll have significantly less aberration. I'm not convinced the increased aperture is that much of a benefit considering the rather large drawbacks.

Good stuff Veil! Ade is right, break yourself in gently, it is very very easy to get EP fever, I suffered with it big time and have had to attend AA (astronomy anonymous) meetings to avoid the "buy now" "add to basket" buttons of various sites :D

Another thing to be wary of, there is a lot of choice in EP out there and all have their merits and weaknesses to some degree or other. The important thing is to keep calm and research your needs, then apply that criteria to potential purchases, then step back and seek advice here. You will most likely end up with a bigger shortlist than when you went into the thread but, that will simply reinforce an informed decision in the end :)

Without this site I'd be swigging cider from a park bench by now wondering if I could use the empty bottle for a better view :D

Are these issues that significant? One thought was that if get hooked 8" allows upgrade to 12" in the future?! What is the aberration issue? Not so worried re eye pieces but collimating does worry me!

Hi Drnat

Getting it at the weekend (yes, its my first scope). Someone at my local astro club has the same scope and highly recommended it, which finally swayed me as it was on a shortlist of 3. Will definitely feedback once i get to grips with it.

I got the 10" as its the largest I can comfortably manage on my own, get in the car etc

Hi Moo

I did add a couple of EPs (under advice,  to cover the basic range), a barlow and a telrad. Will get to know the equipment well before investing in anything else.

Archived