Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker Problem

Hi, I'd appreciate some help with a basic DSS problem. I went out Aurora hunting on Thursday when I heard the news, but got to my dark-ish site too late. Conditions were fairly good, so I took the opportunity to take a few widefields for stacking. However, when I open any of the .cr2 files in DSS the size of the image is wrong, I just get a strip of 1088 pixels in the middle of the image. Has anyone else come across this problem please? I've hunted around in the help and options but can't find anything.

My camera is a Canon 1100D and I'm using DSS 3.3.2.

It's possible to stack aurora in theory but they move about quite a bit. It is more common to go the panorama route, especially if you don't own a super wide lens. You still have the problem with movement but it is much easier to handle.

Ideally the lens should be sharp and wide open, the exposure short and the ISO low enough to be noise free... ;)  Aurora photography is much more like regular photography, you need to tailor the settings to your equipment and how bright or fast moving the aurora is.  

My old camera was a Canon 400D and I took this three shoot panorama from 60N using the kit-lens at 18 mm, ISO800, F/4 and an exposure of 40 seconds each (the aurora wasn't that bright and rather slow moving). Göran Strand however took this amazing all sky mosaic from 63N using 23 4 second exposures using a Nikon D800E Nikon with a AF-S 14-24/2,8 len set at ISO1600, F/4. Better gear, better aurora and lets face it a better photographer results in different settings.

Archived