NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS on SW ST-80?

Apharov

I'm planning to mount my Canon 70D on the ST-80 for tracked cluster/DSO imaging on HEQ-5. I'm aware that the image will have issues such as field curvature, chromatic aberration and vignetting, but I'd like to try it out anyway.

For this I suppose I'll need at least a T2-EOS adapter and probably also a T2 extension tube. Does anyone have experience or ideas on what would be the optimal extension tube length?

Something about 80mm I would expect. If you can get a t-thread extension, it will screw directly to the back of the draw tube rather than push fit. As you suggest, it won't be easy but it will be fun :)

I found that without an extension the focuser draw tube sagged far enough to cause issues with focus. I actually use a dead Meade Barlow with the lens removed but the focuser is still racked out quite a way even with that.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies! I have a couple of further questions though.

Two inches is the normal length you can get the skywatcher photo adapter for this and the standard eos t ring.

I assume the official photo adapter is designed to preserve some close (relatively speaking) focus capacity, so a 4cm would probably be enough for infinity focus?

My 1100d today did not need an extension tube to reach focus on the Orion ST80 but there was not a lot of focus tube travel left, not enough left to support using a barlow.

Are you using T2 extensions directly from the focuser threads or adapting from the 1.25" tubes at some point? If it's really possible to achieve focus with just a direct T2-camera adapter then a 4cm T2 extension would be nicely on the safe side of things :)

My camera has on it a T ring attached to that is a 1.25 eyepeice nose cone.

That I then inserted into the draw tube and I got focus with about 3/4 an inch to spare max on the focus tube. Admitedly I had not been able to focus on the moon but rather some trees equally not that far away but I think far enough to be a reasonable guide.

Whether our focus tubes are the same length I can't say.

I have this coupled with the T ring on my 1100d.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-125-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

Just a quick update: the 4cm extension tube seems to have been a good length. Distant (500m or so) trees were in focus with (very) roughly 2cm focuser move. I'll let you know how it works out for actual imaging once a clear night comes by.

..and the final report: imaging with the setup works better than I expected. The color fringing is rather horrible and the focuser + non-flat field makes pinpoint stars impossible, but for such a minimal scope I feel the results are pretty nice. Images can be seen in the following threads:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210416-first-moon-with-sw-st-80-canon-70d/

and

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210417-m42-and-m81m82-with-sw-st-80-canon-70d/.

Archived