NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm into star clusters :)

Thats real nice work. It can be slightly '"stretched" to bring out some more details.You do this with levels and curves in editing programs such a PS. You would need to slightly crop that glow i see in the upper right that can mess with your histogram bigtime. What ISO are you using? I find for clusters 400-800 works great.

Clusters are fun to image.  Back when there was such a thing as clear sky I captured quite a few of the Messier globs.

James

Hi James

I like open clusters :) but did take some subs of M3 last night but probably not enough to get a decent final image yet. I'd like to have a go at some nearer galaxies too and nebulae as well of course. But I'd need a ccd or modded 1100d really, not to mention several nights with very clear skies. Unfortunately they are rare in Glasgow and the lp is limiting :(. Still, I'm learning all the time and, having resolved some issues, the PHD guiding seems to be working ok.

I've had some odd anomalies with Stellarium though - it seems to get a bit weird and after a while won't goto properly during a session. Have been using it with PHD guiding + Astrotortilla and I have a feeling it might be the Astrotortilla that's confusing it else could be something to do with EQMOD. If anyone else has had this issue I'd be interested to hear, especially if they've solved it!

Louise

I tend to use Cartes du Ciel (or Skychart or whatever it is known as now) for GOTO rather than Stellarium.  I know Stellarium can be made to work, but I decided to take the path of least resistance :)

James

Thats real nice work. It can be slightly '"stretched" to bring out some more details.You do this with levels and curves in editing programs such a PS. You would need to slightly crop that glow i see in the upper right that can mess with your histogram bigtime. What ISO are you using? I find for clusters 400-800 works great.

Hi Leveye

It was ISO 800. It has been stretched and processed in Startools though I'm not very experienced with it yet. I don't have PS. Strange - I don't see a glow in the image prior to uploading it... Here's a link to the same image on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108862926@N05/12791713944/sizes/l/

Maybe it's my eyes but I don't see the glow there!

Russe - There was more colour in the stacked image but I seemed to lose some in the Startools processing. I also tweaked the contrast in Paint.net before uploading and that probably killed some colour too. I know I need more practice with processing...

Louise

I like Clusters there a nice image and easy to find.....here's M13 done some time back just processed in DSS and converted to Jpeg in PS....

10" Newt, Baader MKiii CC, 1100D, 30s X 10 isa 800

m13800-30.jpg

Tinker - Very nice! Yours is bigger than mine! I'm not sure my 150pds would resolve as much as your 250pds plus I'm certain you get darker skies in Norfolk!

Thanks for the " Very Nice" i don't image to post just as a record of what i have seen, It is dark where i live does have some LP but on a moonless night i need a torch to get from the Obby to the back door, if your into imagining stick with it there are wizards on here to help you along the way, and your NGC images is nice the extra tweaking people mention will come with time.....

I tend to use Cartes du Ciel (or Skychart or whatever it is known as now) for GOTO rather than Stellarium.  I know Stellarium can be made to work, but I decided to take the path of least resistance :)

James

I like Stellarium and find it easy to use - it just has a habit of going a bit crazy during a session. When it does go crazy it shows the scope at being at a slightly different position after slewing but I think the actual scope is at the correct co-ordinates. I'll have to see if it still happens without using Astrotortilla. Clear skies are forecast for Sat night but I won't hold my breath!

Louise

Thanks for the " Very Nice" i don't image to post just as a record of what i have seen, It is dark where i live does have some LP but on a moonless night i need a torch to get from the Obby to the back door, if your into imagining stick with it there are wizards on here to help you along the way, and your NGC images is nice the extra tweaking people mention will come with time.....

Ahh oh for an Obsy in Norfolk! Alas, I'm stuck with a 2nd floor flat in Glasgow city! It's a challenge and limiting - I can only see a small bit of sky in the East through a (open) window!! I have to have a clear sky and something of interest passing by the window at the same time!!! But at least I don't get too cold and can have the tv on and plenty of coffee when I want it! :tongue:

Louise

Hi James

I like open clusters :) but did take some subs of M3 last night but probably not enough to get a decent final image yet. I'd like to have a go at some nearer galaxies too and nebulae as well of course. But I'd need a ccd or modded 1100d really, not to mention several nights with very clear skies. Unfortunately they are rare in Glasgow and the lp is limiting :(. Still, I'm learning all the time and, having resolved some issues, the PHD guiding seems to be working ok.

I've had some odd anomalies with Stellarium though - it seems to get a bit weird and after a while won't goto properly during a session. Have been using it with PHD guiding + Astrotortilla and I have a feeling it might be the Astrotortilla that's confusing it else could be something to do with EQMOD. If anyone else has had this issue I'd be interested to hear, especially if they've solved it!

Louise

With Stellarium, what you'll need to do after a while is to hit Ctrl+1 on your current target (with the telescope reticle away from it due to AstroTortilla) and instead of slew click sync. That should get Stellarium back on track. TBH, I switch Stellarium off during imaging, once I've tortillaed onto target and I'm guiding. Saves RAM. If I change targets, I simply restart it and sync it to its current position. (I sometimes clear the sync list in EQMOD as well)

I like Stellarium and find it easy to use - it just has a habit of going a bit crazy during a session. When it does go crazy it shows the scope at being at a slightly different position after slewing but I think the actual scope is at the correct co-ordinates. I'll have to see if it still happens without using Astrotortilla. Clear skies are forecast for Sat night but I won't hold my breath!

Louise

It does happen with PHD as well due to field rotation. If your guide star isn't too close to the guidecam's image, it'll rotate your rig around that guide star. That'll cause probs with syncing Stellarium. Just delete previous syncs in EQMOD and resync to the current (not a new) target in Stellarium.

With Stellarium, what you'll need to do after a while is to hit Ctrl+1 on your current target (with the telescope reticle away from it due to AstroTortilla) and instead of slew click sync. That should get Stellarium back on track. TBH, I switch Stellarium off during imaging, once I've tortillaed onto target and I'm guiding. Saves RAM. If I change targets, I simply restart it and sync it to its current position. (I sometimes clear the sync list in EQMOD as well)

Hi Russe

Thanks for the tips. Um it's when I hit Ctrl-1 that it sometimes goes awry... Yeah Stellarium is heavy on ram and processing power though I run it on a 64-bit system with 16gb memory. I've tried exiting and re-running Stellarium but it still has the problem. Hmm... I'm wondering if it's actually the EQMOD sync list that's causing the problem. Might investigate tonight - some clear periods forecast - fingers crossed!

Louise

Ahh I can see the glow now the light has changed! My eyes - oh dear! I think it was probably caused by the street lamp just below and to the left of my window. I put some cardboard up to screen it off but some of it has probably crept through. If it was that, I'm surprised the processing didn't take it out and I did a gradient wipe in Startools. Oh well.

Louise

Archived