Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uncontrolled Satellite Re-entry

Anubis

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a Dilbert cartoon from the late nineties, about the time they were going to de-orbit the entire Iridium constellation. The Pointy-Haired Boss explains to the engineers that they have decided to deorbit the entire fleet of communications satellites. Dilbert asks "Won't that result in hundreds of big flaming fireballs landing all over the place?"

PHB replies, "That's why we're targeting neighborhoods with lots of swimming pools."

I remember a Dilbert cartoon from the late nineties, about the time they were going to de-orbit the entire Iridium constellation. The Pointy-Haired Boss explains to the engineers that they have decided to deorbit the entire fleet of communications satellites. Dilbert asks "Won't that result in hundreds of big flaming fireballs landing all over the place?"

PHB replies, "That's why we're targeting neighborhoods with lots of swimming pools."

Is that why his tie is curled up?

Is that why his tie is curled up?

Ai-ai-ai-ai-ai! I sometimes use tape to flip my tie up, a la Dilbert, when I wear one in the office.

Erm. Could someone explain to me how shooting down this lame duck is going to help prevent the fuel tank spilling its deadly contents out into the atmosphere?. If the missile hits in a vacuum where is the Oxygen coming from to sustain a prolonged conflagration, and thereby nullifying the danger from that aspect of the problem. Surely the firey re entry is more likely to burn this stuff is it not.

If the fate of the world depended on them hitting this thing with a one shot, I would be making preparations now to meet my maker.

Ron.

Erm. Could someone explain to me how shooting down this lame duck is going to help prevent the fuel tank spilling its deadly contents out into the atmosphere?. If the missile hits in a vacuum where is the Oxygen coming from to sustain a prolonged conflagration, and thereby nullifying the danger from that aspect of the problem. Surely the firey re entry is more likely to burn this stuff is it not.

If the fate of the world depended on them hitting this thing with a one shot, I would be making preparations now to meet my maker.

Ron.

This may explain what they are trying to achieve.

Hydrazine is harmful to the human central nervous system and can be fatal in big doses. However, it breaks down quickly in heat and ultra-violet light, the French security agency Ineris said in a report.

If exposed to space I would guess the ultra-violet light of the Sun would destroy most, if not all, of it.

Ron.

Target practice, and to warn the Chinese that they have a shipboard missile that can shoot down satellites.

They just want to show that they can shoot something down in those conditions...symbolic....could be a missile. Rather childish IMHO.

As usual, the consequences haven't been examined properly.

This is exactly the case, as I see it. Frat boy antics. It's quite possibly the dumbest thing in a long string of dumb things my government is choosing to do. :D :D :lol::laugh:

Heavens Above.com has flyby timetables.. no idea how accurate they are, but it's worth a look.

1) Go to the Main Menu page and find the "Satellites" header.

2) Click on the link for 'Select a satellite from the database'.

3) When the new page is generated, type USA 193 in the third text box and go from there. :D

And here's a quick-link to the satellites live position: link

(You need to refresh the page for updates.)

Archived