NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece Advice. Skywatcher 130P

My first post here so, Hi Everyone  :laugh:

I recently finally took the plunge and bought my first 'scope a SW 130P. The only extra kit I've got for it so far is a Cheshire Collimator, a Baader moon filter and a 2x SW barlow all from FLO.

I've been having a great time this last few weeks getting to know the instrument and getting some great views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn but I'd like to invest in a higher magnification eyepiece so that when I have the planets in my sights I can get a slightly better view.

At the moment I just have the stock 10 and 25mm EP's that came with the scope (+barlow), I've read the post here on recommended minimum EP's and searched around this forum and the wider net but really would like some advice from some experienced observers. 

The two stipulations I have when trying to choose an EP are firstly, generous eye relief is important as my partner wears spectacles, and secondly cost, the budget for stargazing is starting to get tight so I'm probably looking at around a £50-£60 ceiling.

So a high magnification eyepiece, suitable for planetary observation, with good eye relief and doesn't cost the earth :smiley:  If anyone has any suggestions that could inform my choice then the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all in advance.

Gary.

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum!

I'd personally recommend BST Explorers.  They retail at around £49 a piece for the Starguiders, which have a decent 60degree FoV.  I wear glasses and find the eye relief to be fine.

I'd say you wouldn't want to go much less than 8mm for your 'scope, then use the barlow to gain on this.

Other's will be able to recommend other EP's I'm sure.  Hope that helps!

~Kb

Hi Gary, welcome to SGL.

BST Starguider EPs are a popular upgrade. They have good eye relief and, at £49, are pretty much the best you can buy new at this price. The only real downside is the lack of higher power focal lengths - only 5mm and 8mm.

Celestron X-Cel LXs are another option at £65. They are of similar optical quality to the BSTs but offer a wider range of focal lengths.

Thanks for your swift replies guys.

I had been looking at a 7mm Celestron X-Cel LX as one possible choice and today I took my first look at Sky's the Limit and was considering the 8mm BST Starguider. So I'm guessing that, thankfully some of what I've read must have sunk in because it seems I was at least on the right track  :smiley:

No worries.

A 7mm in your 'scope (650mm FL I think?) will give you 92x, 185x with the Barlow.  Personally I'd stay under 200x.  A 5mm would give you the same magnification as the 10mm with the 2x Barlow (130x), and when used with the 2x Barlow would be 260x... at this magnification I'd have thought you'd struggle with tracking and atmospheric conditions clear enough to make viewing pleasurable.

I've never owned/looked through the Celestrons, so I'll leave others to comment on them.

~Kb

No worries.

A 7mm in your 'scope (650mm FL I think?) will give you 92x, 185x with the Barlow.  Personally I'd stay under 200x.  A 5mm would give you the same magnification as the 10mm with the 2x Barlow (130x), and when used with the 2x Barlow would be 260x... at this magnification I'd have thought you'd struggle with tracking and atmospheric conditions clear enough to make viewing pleasurable.

I've never owned/looked through the Celestrons, so I'll leave others to comment on them.

~Kb

So if I understand you correctly, if I'm using the Barlow it wouldn't be advisable to fit anything shorter than 7mm? 

Unless you are planning on getting a barlow at some point as well, for planetary viewing alone I would get the 5mm BST. On the other hand the 8mm will be a bit more of an all rounder and you would use it more on other targets.  The 5mm will give 130x, still on the low side but will provide fine planetary views nevertheless in that scope.

edit: sorry I misread and already see you got the barlow, Dho!

IMHO, yes, 7mm with your 2x Barlow would be about the limit for comfortable viewing.

Buying say, a 5mm, I don't think gives you much useable... 260x I feel would be "over-powerful" (with the barlow), and without you may as well enjoy the relief of the 10mm coupled with the barlow (130x). 

Apparently Alan at Skies the Limit will send you two EPs to try out, and you return the one you don't want. So you could get the 5mm and 8mm BSTs and see which one you find most useful. Of course, there is then the danger that you decide you want to keep them both  :grin:

Didn't know that... great idea!

~Kb

The StarGuider 5mm and 8mm are very good for planetary observing,

you will have no problem with the 5mm observing the Moon but you need

good viewing on Jupiter and Saturn to get detail, but the 8mm will be fine

for all. The BST StarGuider is the best value for money eyepiece in my

humble opinion, try this site it's a beginners guide to eyepieces, it will

help you decide on what you need.  http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, it's very reassuring to be given some distilled wisdom when this gear's quite pricey and it does seem something of a minefield.

I've decided I can't go far wrong with the 8mm BST and have just ordered one from Sky's the Limit so hopefully it (and a clear night!) will be arriving soon  :smiley:

Thanks once again for your helpful replies.

Cheers,

Gary.

My first post here so, Hi Everyone  :laugh:
 I recently finally took the plunge and bought my first 'scope a SW 130P. The only extra kit I've got for it so far is a Cheshire Collimator, a Baader moon filter and a 2x SW barlow all from FLO.
 I've been having a great time this last few weeks getting to know the instrument and getting some great views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn but I'd like to invest in a higher magnification eyepiece so that when I have the planets in my sights I can get a slightly better view.
 At the moment I just have the stock 10 and 25mm EP's that came with the scope (+barlow), I've read the post here on recommended minimum EP's and searched around this forum and the wider net but really would like some advice from some experienced observers. 
 The two stipulations I have when trying to choose an EP are firstly, generous eye relief is important as my partner wears spectacles, and secondly cost, the budget for stargazing is starting to get tight so I'm probably looking at around a £50-£60 ceiling.
 So a high magnification eyepiece, suitable for planetary observation, with good eye relief and doesn't cost the earth :smiley:  If anyone has any suggestions that could inform my choice then the help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all in advance.
Gary.
GaryL.........Hi, Suitable eyepieces.............your stock 25mm will be ok for a while longer.
I would recommend to you the 8mm BST Starguider, as a direct replacement for your stock 10mm.  The 8mm is  a great  eyepiece ( my first choice in my set) and if used in conjunction with the Barlow , the Moon looks a lot more impressive.
The BST will give a Cleaner, wider, brighter and possibly a  sharper view over the stock 10mm and comes with good good eye relief and FOV (field of view). I wear glasses, but not with the telescope as the focuser carries out any correction!
As for the better views,? the lens above is mentioned, but note that as you increase magnification, the image (object your looking at ) generally gets bigger too, but the field of view decreases (the visible sky you can see when looking through the eyepiece ) so take into account the size of your aperture.  Bigger apertures will give more contrast and resolution (brightness and detail) Eyepieces alone wont always improve what you desire without the help of a bigger telescope, especially for the  more distant Planets ( I'm talking about the physical size of the Planet your trying to look at)  My eyes make out the weather bands on Jupiter, and to this date,  I've not been able to say I've clearly seen the GRS (great red spot) It will happen, with critical focusing, and  perfect seeing conditions, sometime soon. I would like to see a doubling of the size of Jupiter compared to what I see now, But I believe that will only come if I increase my aperture  substantially.

Easy one BST 8mm starguider and Barlow is great combo it gives you 4 mm and if you got a 5mm you would be using it on its own, don't think it would work well at. 2.5 mm barlowed. So with the 8mm you'll have basically two eyepieces in one with the Barlow and get more mag than the. 5mm .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the 8mm BST arrived promptly on Saturday morning (packed in clouds of course), so no test run last night.

Managed to get out and get a look at Jupiter tonight even though conditions are not that great here and well, wow what can I say. What a great piece of kit (at a very reasonable price I think) the EP just oozes quality and really puts the stock SW EP's in the shade. Now I've actually had a chance to use it I can appreciate that 80x and 160x are really useful magnifications so like you all told me definitely ideal as a first investment.

The eye relief and wind out cup are excellent so my partner was thrilled she could actually see properly through it (possibly paving the way for a budget increase :grin: ) and I'm just loving the "flatter" view that stays sharp right to the edge.

Thanks once again all for putting me on the right track, I would absolutely 100% recommend this eyepiece to anyone. Fifty quid thoroughly well spent imo.

Cheers all.

Gary.

Great news, glad your happy. problem now for you is there's more of them?

They are great lenses, I think the price tends to make people think twice, as to why so cheap. The BST's are exact in shape & design as four other lenses, and they cost more. The service Alan provides is second to none. And you wont find  many second hand BSTs for sale.  Even I would like to pay less for these lenses, and  I managed to get my 25mm for £33 delivered, and was only a Month old? So they may come up for sale, but like you've discovered, and we already know, great EP's at great prices.

Archived