NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skylines 200p assembly help

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone and especially Charic for the advice and the things to watch out for. This forum had been an invaluable source of help and information. 

The rain has stopped and I'm hoping I might at least be able to view the moon tonight! 

..........If that's the case, Sunglasses will help subdue the brightness? (You  wont go blind from Moonlight) Also to reduce the light somewhat, there appears to be two smaller `lens caps` on the OTA dust cover. One of these will prise off, and can be secured over the other one! This procedure allows you to leave the dust cap in place,  whilst viewing the Moon or the SUN (EXTREME CAUTION HERE   ** YOU MUST HAVE SOLAR FILTERS IN PLACE**)  The downside to this trick is that it effectively turns an 8" telescope into a 2" Aperture telescope? But if the Moonlight is so bright, these are the more immediate fixes. Next would be to install Moon filters.

At about 21Kgs its a tad heavy to carry all at once. Just take care. Failing that, undo the locking handles, lift and secure the telescope safe, I stand mine on end, no Children or pets to knock it over, Then take the base out first.

I don't intend to carry it all at once. It is quite heavy, although manageable in two parts (I'm glad I went for this one over the 150p). Thanks for the moon viewing tips, I am planning on getting a moon filter, would you recommend this one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html 

Well done for getting it all together without too much hassle.

As for a moon filter I would hold off investing in one 'til you have had a look without using one. Some of us use a filter some don't find it necessary. FWIW I don't.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hi sorry to hear this if I was you get some kitchen cupboard legs lots better and you can level the scope do a quick google get the metal ones tho

http://m.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/cabinet_furniture_and_hardware/legs_feet_and_castors/1640/kitchen_cabinet_adjustable_leg_set_black/820271?vat=1&gclid=CMX4nbi51rwCFa-WtAodWXUAOg

Pat

I don't intend to carry it all at once. It is quite heavy, although manageable in two parts (I'm glad I went for this one over the 150p). Thanks for the moon viewing tips, I am planning on getting a moon filter, would you recommend this one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

Yes........but try the methods stated first, as Astro Imp says, many folk don't  use or need them. If its a bit too bright, take a rest from the finder. That's also half the price of a decent EP(eyepiece) too. There is always a keen interest to get "everything" NOW! Its not required, take your time.  I have what I have over the last 4 Months using SGL and the members advice and haven't looked back yet. Most will say " you gotta upgrade the default EP's"  But not straight away. I would recommend, though, when the time arrives, to invest in the 8mm BST Starguider  as a direct replacement for the 10mm you already have that arrived with the telescope. When you see the quality you get so so little money, you may want more. Fact is you need a low focal length EP for the higher magnifications and close work, and a larger focal length, low power lens for Nebulae and galaxy work.(Hence the 2 lenses supplied 1x High power 1x low power) Other lenses just fall into place as you so desire. Your 25mm will work quite well. I have a set of BST's. This allows me a full range of focal lengths/magnification, and allows me to frame my subjects correctly.

the feet were tricky when I set up as well, had to use some force.

have you looked through the scope yet, I only tried mine last night but unfortunately I can't see anything, although the finderscope worked great, not sure what i've done wrong yet or whether something wrong with the build but i'm getting nothing through the eyepieces :(

Make sure you got a few extra turns on the central bolt , the nut will have a nyloc washer in it to stop the bolt coming loose when your turning the scope about so screw it as far as you can without tightening up the swivel of the scope.

Make sure you didn't do what I did and add the 2" collar for the focuser into the mix, it effectively made the focus path too long and I could not get an image at all with the 1.25" eyepieces supplied. If you are anything like me you probably added it so there wasn't anything left over from the build :D

If the moon is too bright (eg a full or 3/4 moon) - put the lid back on the end and remove the small cap that's offset from the center of the main cap. You can store it on the adjacent round "hump" so it doesn't get lost.

Though it alters the scope focal ratio slightly it won't make a very noticeable difference to observing - there's plenty of light to give good views this way and you'll save the cost of a filter.

The moon is best when it's 1/4 or crescent - there's a lot of very interesting stuff along the terminator and the shadows give a feeling of depth and perspective. Hth :)

Hi everyone

Yes, I did get a chance to look through mine, although only briefly on Tuesday. As i hadn't had time to align the finderscope before it got dark we just looked at Jupiter. I say 'just' -  it was amazing!!! There it was just sitting there looking like Jupiter I could see the bands across the surface and 2 moons. I don't want to sound too girly but it was so beautiful I felt a bit teary. We only got to look for about half an hour and then it turned foggy.

I'm taking it out to a dark sky sight tonight - can't wait!

HarryMoon - Sorry to hear your having problems - I know this is going to sound incredibly patronising but did you take the cap off the bottom of the eyepiece. I only say this because I didn't at first. I took the top one off but in the dark didn't realise there was one on the other end - dooh!

If you find the finderscope a bit of a faff to use I can recommend getting a Telrad, it had made finding things so much easier for me, then you can switch to the finder to refine the target then get viewing with the dob.

Archived