NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

Evening folks,

For the past couple of years or so I've been playing around with a cheap 70mm reflector that my OH bought me as a Christmas present. It's served me well and has well and truly given me the bug. Its now long past time to upgrade.

I've got a budget of less than £300 pound and was thinking of buying a skywatcher 150p on an eq3-2 (FLO has them for about £280). I was thinking that this would serve me better than a Dob as ive been going to a view viewing sessions with the local Astro soc and it would be easier to transport. Also, I've found that the alt az on my current scope does my head in when trying to track objects - it can be a bit sticky. I was wondering if I could expect the same experience with a Dob, or are they generally very smooth to track? Also, how do they fare on rough ground? My best local dark skies are on a canal bank towpath! (sometimes gets hairy if you lose your bearings!) so I think a tripod might be easier.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? It represents a large investment for me and I'm anxious to make the right decision.

It's harder to track stuff with a Dob, certainly, but I found it pretty easy to pick up in my first session. The tension can be adjusted to suit to allow easier movemnt. If you go with the Equatorial, you'll also have the potential for some astrophotography at some point in the future, but you'd need to upgrade the mount to something a bit beefier.

As far as concerns for Dobs on rough ground, I have an elegant solution to the problem mostly thanks to advice from users of this forum:

Rachel with The Dob

That's a fairly beefy fishing trolley but it copes with the tree roots, curbs, dirt and gravel that lies between my front door and my favoured viewing site in the park.

DD

A 150mm reflector on whichever mount you choose will be a significant upgrade to what you have been used to. Yes, the Dobsonian rockerbox which carries the telescope rotates on a separate base, the ground board, bearings are of either the "lazy susan" type or pads of PTFE.  :smiley:

[removed word] dangerous - where did you buy your fishing trolley? It looks an excellent solution 

I had a really difficult time finding any shops that sell trolleys, in spite of living in a vast metropolis. I bought it from Gerry's of Wimbledon in the end. Any big fishing shop would probably be able to furnish you with one, and there are similar available online.The trolley itself is this one. It's robust, it folds up and it has sturdy wheels which is probably the most important thing because I have to wheel it about half a kilometre to get in to the park. The legs can be adjusted to fit the base plate snugly and the telescope can be used while mounted on the trolley, providing certain parts are removed. Best of all it comes with a couple of bungees so you can attach your pride and joy securely!

DD

Evening folks,

For the past couple of years or so I've been playing around with a cheap 70mm reflector that my OH bought me as a Christmas present. It's served me well and has well and truly given me the bug. Its now long past time to upgrade.

I've got a budget of less than £300 pound and was thinking of buying a skywatcher 150p on an eq3-2 (FLO has them for about £280). I was thinking that this would serve me better than a Dob as ive been going to a view viewing sessions with the local Astro soc and it would be easier to transport. Also, I've found that the alt az on my current scope does my head in when trying to track objects - it can be a bit sticky. I was wondering if I could expect the same experience with a Dob, or are they generally very smooth to track? Also, how do they fare on rough ground? My best local dark skies are on a canal bank towpath! (sometimes gets hairy if you lose your bearings!) so I think a tripod might be easier.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? It represents a large investment for me and I'm anxious to make the right decision.

Wikiastro......A skywatcher on an EQ Mount has to be set up critically every time to the Earth's rotation in order to track manually or with  a motor drive. An EQ mount also takes up more surface area when assembled, Might need the width of  that tow path just to spread the legs?. I have an EQ/GEM mount in the shed. For just observational use, I wouldn't choose an EQ Mount over a Dobsonian, unless I want to photograph. Skyliner, best 8" money can buy at £280 delivered if you look around?

You wont go wrong with an 8" 200P Skyliner Dobsonian. Total weight @ 21Kg to carry complete. or 9 + 12 separate.

Easy to Track. The Dobsonian is constructed and held together with a single bolt. If not over tightened, all will be well. People mod the base with Milk cartons, PTFE sheeting and lazy Susan's. I've not bothered, mine is smooth enough.

Any flat surface is good, even rubble, long grass. fact is, what ever surface, (not a 45° ramp)  the Dobsonian does not require equatorial alignments. Just place it down, put in a long focal length eyepiece and get observing. Most telescopes require a period of cooling when taken outside, to allow the mirror to cool. Once cooled, use any focal length eyepiece to your advantage.

Next time you visit the local club, try the EQ mounts...... align, track follow something, then choose another target to track and follow. Just observe the amount of adjustments, and tube rotations required  in a 30 min session?  Now try the same with a Dobsonian. put it down, and view.

It's harder to track stuff with a Dob, certainly, but I found it pretty easy to pick up in my first session. The tension can be adjusted to suit to allow easier movemnt. If you go with the Equatorial, you'll also have the potential for some astrophotography at some point in the future, but you'd need to upgrade the mount to something a bit beefier.

As far as concerns for Dobs on rough ground, I have an elegant solution to the problem mostly thanks to advice from users of this forum:

That's a fairly beefy fishing trolley but it copes with the tree roots, curbs, dirt and gravel that lies between my front door and my favoured viewing site in the park.

DD

I might have to complain to FLO. When my 200p arrived there was no 4" 10" woman in the box :sad:

it has sturdy wheels

Dd - thanks for the headsup on fishing trollys, I didnt know about them,  (looked at and rejected sacktrucks),  the size of the wheels looks good for negotiating my hillside terrain.

Excellent optional extras, take good care of your pride and joy :)

Some of the better Carp Trolleys have folding side walls. If you were to snug in a Duvet or similar ( I have two small cot mattresses and a duvet for this and car use ) it should quite easily carry a two part telescope. The big fat tyre holds the ground well. Just don't over extend the support legs or the centre of gravity moves forwards. I've done it. All my Carp tackle on the floor and the barrow on top :mad: But Carp fishermen do have to carry more than we really need!

Archived