NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16" dob

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which 16" truss dob is it?

a secondary circle is easy to put on - just put one on?

the secondary might need the odd tweak but not a great deal, maybe nothing.

the primary will need a tweak each time but so does my solid tube 16"

it's really nothing to worry about.

How about cutting out a template (paper) the exact size of the mirror,then fold it in 4 carefully-unfold,center is at the junction.Put little hole in paper at its exact center,carefully place on mirror and Sharpie the hole in paper.Then place center dot over the marker dot.

Hi all thanks for your comments it's a Oldham optics mirror set ,and it's a wooden affair will get a image ,all points taken in a will say this it's a lot bigger than a thought maybe two big eeeek had a quick look tonight as we had a small clear patch me and a friend stuck it together and to says it's not colaminated ( spell checker strikes again) i thought the orion neb and a few clusters looked good in my sct ,but boy o boy I nearly cried the views just where literally out of this world pardon the pun

I will try the clear plastic method ,and the paper one ,also I it did not come with the normal donut .

Pat

Hi, interesting thread, I've just been reading up on collimating and spots and things.

I have come across various websites saying that the mechanical/physical centre of the mirror is maybe not the optical centre for purpose of collimating everyting to be on the optical axis.

Is this a problem ? Any data on how far these spots may diverge ? Does it matter much ?

Is it a hangover from 'the olden days',, are modern production processes less liable to such an offset ?

here's one

Drool !

Moonshane >

Ok on the "middle" ! Me too but that was when I was building a 6" f8 in days of yore before fancy lasers and cheshires and whatsits, yep, just lined things up more or less concentric,

6" then was BIG :)

but now at the f ratios of these monsters should we be concerned about these wee details ?

Drool !

Moonshane >

Ok on the "middle" ! Me too but that was when I was building a 6" f8 in days of yore before fancy lasers and cheshires and whatsits, yep, just lined things up more or less concentric,

but now at the f ratios of these monsters should we be concerned about these wee details ?

collimation is a means to and end and needs to be good enough to give nice sharp images at the eyepiece. other than that don't worry too much, just enjoy the scope. I don't worry about things I cannot measure/affect/see at the eyepiece  :smiley:

collimation is a means to and end

I cannot measure/affect/see at the eyepiece  :smiley:

Couldnt agree more : !

But :) hehee

If we are going to go to the bother of marking the centre to aid us I just wondered if there was a way of marking the optical one you see.

If there isnt, or if it isnt significant, ( cos the webpages I've seen never address this) then I'll go back to sleep !

When I had the 12" I used a Cheshire every time I have read the pro's and cons on both going to have a ride to Rothervalley optics ,in the morning and see what they have a telrad would be nice as well might have to hit the wanted section ( I no these are getting hard to get at the min )

Pat

The collimation "sweet spot" around the optical axis at F/8 is a comparatively generous 11mm wheras at F/5 it's dropped to 2.8mm and knowing where the optical axis is seems somewhat more important !

The collimation "sweet spot" around the optical axis at F/8 is a comparatively generous 11mm wheras at F/5 it's dropped to 2.8mm and knowing where the optical axis is seems somewhat more important !

the section at the end of this article suggests how to test your optical vs physical axis position http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto/diy/3306876.html

I have never bothered though as I say as the results at the eyepiece are good enough for me.

Archived