NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun 16-02-14

Trevor N

First solar image for me this year. ED100 with Canon 1000D. Stacked 20 shots in Reg 5. Probably total wishful thinking but could the white line in the largest group near the limb be a flare ? I believe they can be seen in white light sometimes. I have only seen them in Ha.Trevor

post-2351-0-59622100-1392578796_thumb.jp

post-2351-0-85972400-1392578820_thumb.jp

Thanks for the comments. If you look just left of the dark central region of the large spot near the right hand limb you will see a small white patch. On second thoughts I think it's just a quirk of processing. Still would be curious to know if flares can ever be seen in white light . Trevor

Excellent images :)

I am afraid it isn't a flare, they can be seen in WL for about 2-5 minutes just before a very large X-class. This unfortunately looks like a very common artifact caused by a little too much wavelet use in Registax, sorry ;) I can tell this as you are also starting to get a white ring round the limb too, when you see this appear you need to drop back a bit on the slider.

Great detail though :) :) :)

Alexandra

Archived