Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST + QHY5L-II

Stu_2011

Hi

First attempt at taking a full disk solar image with this combination. The QHY5L-II is attractive because it has a 1.25" body and therefore it can fit inside the PST eyepiece tube and get to focus. My DMK camera wouldn't come to focus even with a short extension and I didn't want to start chopping up my PST. I bought the QHY5L-II as a guide camera so was worth a try.

The image obviously has some Newton rings but I reckon a de focused flat image stands a good chance of removing these rings, they are quite widely spaced which will help with removal. The underlying detail is quite good I feel e4uryhar.jpgy6abu9uv.jpgso I'm happy.

1500 frames at 15 FPS, stacked in Registax.

Thanks

Stuart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good!

I think the potential is certainly there.....

Well done.

Thanks, I read these forums a bit so I know that you know your stuff when it comes to solar imaging.

Do you think a de focused flat will help remove the Newton rings?

Stuart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

This gives me real hope.  I recently acquired a PST and would love to take photos though it, though I'm having a job deciding which camera to start with.  Tried my DSLR, but the results have been pretty rubbish.  Have considered the QHY5L, as they're not too pricey, and your images have made up my mind.  :)

Can I ask though, is it the mono camera, and you've added false colour afterwards, or is it the colour camera?

Thanks,

Tim.

Archived