NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 07/02/14

mosster

This is my first attempt at Jupiter with a newly acquired ASI120MC.

Roughly 1500-2000 frames stacked from 5000. First time using Firecapture too.

Think that dark spot might have been a shadow from Io?

Not sure if focus was spot on or the haze in between clouds has reduces image quality or settings on Firecapture wasn't right.

So still a long way to go. As usual all feedback and tips greatly appreciated.

post-29258-0-57628600-1392205136.jpg

Great start on a slippery slope :) do you have the capture settings to post? Or you could post a link to the original avi file and we can all have a play and share what we did to help you along on the processing aide of things. Great start-here's to many more clear nights and planetary images :)

Great start on a slippery slope :) do you have the capture settings to post? Or you could post a link to the original avi file and we can all have a play and share what we did to help you along on the processing aide of things. Great start-here's to many more clear nights and planetary images :)

I'll have a look in to that, how do you recommend to upload the avi? Thanks :smiley:

Doh, just looked at you signature

Not sure if that one was with Autostakkert or Registax. I've been playing around with both at the moment.

I'll have a look in to that, how do you recommend to upload the avi

I notmally upload to my dropbox account and then click share file and copy the link and post on the forum im on. Is a great way of learning about processing from the really awesome planetary imagers on here. Very lucky to have such an abundance of talent and experience on here. I wouldn't have come along as i have without the help of the members on here and other forums i visit :) Hoorah for SGL and its members :D

I notmally upload to my dropbox account and then click share file and copy the link and post on the forum im on. Is a great way of learning about processing from the really awesome planetary imagers on here. Very lucky to have such an abundance of talent and experience on here. I wouldn't have come along as i have without the help of the members on here and other forums i visit :) Hoorah for SGL and its members :D

Cheers, I'll have a look into that. appreciate your help.

I'll seconds the help on here, I've only really started since December with new equipment and the tips etc have been great to date.

I dug into Firecapture for the capture settings and are:

FireCapture v2.3  Settings
------------------------------------
Camera=ZWO ASI120MC
Filter=L
Profile=Jupiter
Diameter=44.88"
Magnitude=-2.57
CMI=99.7° CMII=11.9° CMIII=186.3°  (during mid of capture)
FocalLength=2940mm
Resolution=0.26"
Filename=182137.avi
Date=070214
Start=182137.333
Mid=182337.178
End=182537.024
Duration=239.691s
Date_format=ddMMyy
Time_format=HHmmss
LT=UT
Frames captured=5000
File type=AVI
Extended AVI mode=true
Compressed AVI=false
Binning=no
ROI=640x480
FPS (avg.)=20
Shutter=47.92ms
Gain=47
WRed=52
Gamma=45
WBlue=95
Brightness=8
AutoExposure=off
USBTraffic=40
Histogramm(min)=1
Histogramm(max)=116
Histogramm=45%
Noise(avg.deviation)=n/a
Limit=5000 Frames
Sensor temperature=7.2 °C / 45.0 °F

If this helps from the capture settings side :smiley:

.....experimenting is your best friend here mate...I can see very tangible improvements from the first to the last images you've posted here: drizzling does assist as long as the data is decent enough in the first place - the gamma should ALWAYS be set at "50" for capturing (it can help with focusing to drop it down considerably but then you must remember to raise it back to "50" for recording/capturing!)

I'm not making much sense of the times you recorded for from the FireCapture text file (ie, "start - mid - end") but FireCapture seems to do this at times but the "Duration" (239.691 seconds!) does equate with your shutter speed of about 49mSeconds (which indicates a bit over 20 frames per second) and to record 5000 frames meant you must've ran your capture for about 240+ seconds which at the scale this image is posted at is fine as far as not inducing any rotational blurring (presuming this is the capture scale as per the onscreen image during capture)

A "Gain" of "47" is actually very low (which is understandable for just over 20FPS and a histogram of 45%) but you really should try to image Jupiter with about a 70% histogram which would require significantly more gain.....I'm presuming you imaged with a 127mm scope but even with this small aperture it might be possible to get a 70% histogram on Jove and still be able to up the frame-rate a bit more which will help all-round.....I don't have direct experience of these smaller scopes but if you can keep the gain to below about "88-90" whilst eking out (say) perhaps 35fps you will benefit by having more frames to stack and possibly "freezing" individual frames as well in any poorer seeing conditions you may encounter...

Keep up the good work! :)

.....experimenting is your best friend here mate...I can see very tangible improvements from the first to the last images you've posted here: drizzling does assist as long as the data is decent enough in the first place - the gamma should ALWAYS be set at "50" for capturing (it can help with focusing to drop it down considerably but then you must remember to raise it back to "50" for recording/capturing!)

I'm not making much sense of the times you recorded for from the FireCapture text file (ie, "start - mid - end") but FireCapture seems to do this at times but the "Duration" (239.691 seconds!) does equate with your shutter speed of about 49mSeconds (which indicates a bit over 20 frames per second) and to record 5000 frames meant you must've ran your capture for about 240+ seconds which at the scale this image is posted at is fine as far as not inducing any rotational blurring (presuming this is the capture scale as per the onscreen image during capture)

A "Gain" of "47" is actually very low (which is understandable for just over 20FPS and a histogram of 45%) but you really should try to image Jupiter with about a 70% histogram which would require significantly more gain.....I'm presuming you imaged with a 127mm scope but even with this small aperture it might be possible to get a 70% histogram on Jove and still be able to up the frame-rate a bit more which will help all-round.....I don't have direct experience of these smaller scopes but if you can keep the gain to below about "88-90" whilst eking out (say) perhaps 35fps you will benefit by having more frames to stack and possibly "freezing" individual frames as well in any poorer seeing conditions you may encounter...

Many thanks for taking the time to look over the settings and offer assistance. I've seen a lot of your work on here so means a lot :smiley:

I was wondering why I was struggling to get higher fps rate so this explains everything.

Next time the weather is clear (who knows when that will be!) I'll experiment more and take your help into account.

That bit's interesting about having the histo up to 70% Darryl. If I put mine up that much it seems to way over-expose the centre? Am I missing something?

Regards

Harvey

Archived