NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation Dob or Skyliner Dob? 8inch

I have posted in the other threads on this but I'll say it again, having owned both, personally I feel the optics of the Skywatcher dobs are slightly better on the whole. Some of the mechanicals of the Revelation seem nicer though.

My guess is you would be pleased with either, judging from the balance of feedback from owners of both types in the threads that have run on this topic on the forum recently  :smiley:

I saw the 10"  revelation at astrofest the weekend and was very impressed with the quality of the build and for the price tempted my self to get one but not sure on the quality of the mirror compared to the skywatcher 

Just bought an 8" Revelation Dob. I'll report back when it arrives!

I went for how it felt, much smoother than SW, and the dual-speed focuser is a bonus.

It will be mainly for observing, so optics not quite so important???

I'll report on First Light!... but you might have to wait :sad:  givent the current weather..

I have posted in the other threads on this but I'll say it again, having owned both, personally I feel the optics of the Skywatcher dobs are slightly better on the whole. Some of the mechanicals of the Revelation seem nicer though.

Out of interest john do you think it's the actual figure of the mirror or the coatings?

Out of interest john do you think it's the actual figure of the mirror or the coatings?

A few years back the over coating (rather than the aluminising) was either poor or omitted. I believe that has been rectified now but I also feel the mirror of the GSO built scopes that I had was not figured as well as the Skywatchers I've had. I've had a couple of the 8" Skywatchers (an 8" F/6 dob and more recently an 8" F/5 newt OTA) that were particularly excellent even though separated in manufacture terms by a few years. 

In the interests of balance though I have read of GSO made scopes which have had excellent mirrors too and there are no doubt Skywatchers around with so so ones. Maybe I just got lucky with the Skywatchers I've owned and less so with the GSO made ones ?. I've owned 5 Skywatcher newts and 2 GSO made ones so thats the sample I have direct experience with - not a large one by any means !

Archived