Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt.

shoXx

Yes I know it isn't great but I decided to try and capture the moon before getting my new DSLR.

Only had my phone handy, so here it is. It's undoubtedly a tad overexposed but it's certainly given me the astrophotography bug now.

post-35357-0-67131500-1392051681_thumb.j

nice start! what DSLR are you getting, did you capture this on your iphone via a telescope?

Thanks, I'm thinking about getting a Nikon D3200 or D5200, they're pretty much the same price but I need to research more on them or get advice from people who have used them. It was captured on my Galaxy S3 just rested on the EP.

Can't help much on the Nikon front buddy I've only had canons. Wow that's a darn cracking image for shooting through an eye piece! No turning back now you got the astro bug lol you should try another shot of the moon now at night, you should get better contrast and clarity at night, keep up the good eye piece shooting till u get your dslr buddy

I've just started myself in astrophptography and have really got the bug. I've purchased a dedicated set up just for imaging and taken a great deal of advice. The subject of DSLR selection can be subjective but the advice I was given is that Canon have a much wider variety of support tools out there compared to other brands. Of course you may have a reason for choosing a particular camera but I thought I would share the research I did. Much of the research advice came from imagers at the top of their field so I trusted what they were saying and certainly my experience so far has born out their advice.

Clear skies :-)

Thanks for the advice cepheus42, I'll certainly look more into a Canon now.

Can't help much on the Nikon front buddy I've only had canons. Wow that's a darn cracking image for shooting through an eye piece! No turning back now you got the astro bug lol you should try another shot of the moon now at night, you should get better contrast and clarity at night, keep up the good eye piece shooting till u get your dslr buddy

Tried getting another of the Moon at night, still having the overexposed issue though.

post-35357-0-81704500-1392062185_thumb.j

Managed to get one of Jupiter too, you can just make out 3 moons. I could definitely see four through the scope, possibly five but wasn't 100% sure one to the lower right was a moon or a star. I need more knowledge!

post-35357-0-02823300-1392062254_thumb.j

Well chuffed so far with noob equipment haha.

I've got 3 mobiles here and all were seriously over exposed with the moon, Andrioid, iPhone 3 and a Win8 phone.

In the end when I did a bit of afocal I got my old digital compact Canon S45, 10 years old now but it's got all the controls the same as a DSLR so I could set exposure etc and got exposures correct, just lining up to the EP was so hard.

Some people try to focus the phone on a light first for where you can lock the exposure then go through the EP.

Not easy and any result is good to get.

Can't give you any help based on those tiny thumbnails except that they are both overexposed. The moon shoot is probably less overexposed than whatever the second image is but it is hard to tell. Astrophotography usually requires the photographer to manually handle the settings for a balanced image.

Archived