Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light, at last!

Hello!

I've had my scope for a bit over two weeks now, but it still wasn't until Monday this week that I'd been able to use it.

I looked out the window and saw that it was clear outside, so in my excitement, I grabbed my eyepieces, the book Turn Left At Orion and my scope and I rushed outside.

I began with looking at Jupiter through the 25 mm eyepiece, and I got really excited as I could see 3 moons very clearly. I then switched to the 10 mm and "BANG!", there it was, with its cloud bands clearly visible and even a shadow of one of its moons.  :shocked:  This was the first time I had ever looked at a planet through a telescope, so imagine how amazed I was?! I really didn't think that I would be able to see as much detail as I did the first time I looked at a planet. :)

I also tried my 6 mm eyepiece, but I guess the seeing conditions just didn't allow 200x, as I couldn't get the planet into good focus.

Anyway, after about 15 minutes of just gazing at Jupiter and feeling completely awestruck, I moved on to look at the Orion Nebula. I put in my 2" eyepiece, and right away, I got pleasantly surprised by the rich field of view. So, I located the nebula, and once again I got amazed. It was so much brighter than I ever have seen it through binoculars, and you could really make out the shape of it now, using averted vision (a skill I am currently getting better and better at). I also used the 10 mm to zoom in at the Trapezium, which was also really cool, but unfortunately, I could not make out the E and F stars. Maybe because there was a thin layer of high altitude clouds that rolled in at the time. Well, well, I also had a look at the nearby triple star, ∑761 and the five-star (you can only see 4 with my telescope) Sigma Orionis. I saw all of those, so that was great :D

I was about to look at the Pleiades too, but the weather ruined my plans for that :clouds1:. Oh well, there will always come more clear nights! And I will never forget this first experience with my new scope :) I am really satisfied with it, and it's one of the best buys I've ever made!

Clear skies, everyone!

Wow!! So lucky. Got my skywatcher 150PL my 1st decent telescope on Sunday but haven't had a clear sky at all. But having some problems with the mount as i haven't used on before. Have you got any advise for me for looking and aim at Jupiter :)  

Not knowing too much (a quick google) I guess it's an EQ mount.

Do a rough polar align and then swing the scope round to find Jupiter.

One advantage you have at the moment with the poor weather is that you can practice indoors on which way you swing the mount around to get to a position in the sky. Just setup indoors the way you need to outside and using Stellarium try and move the scope round to roughly where you think each object is.

It took me a couple of sessions to get used to the EQ mount after years of photography.

So happy for you SB! Nice results for your first light!  Appears you got the scope's adjustments taken care of OK to see a Jupiter moon shadow on the planet.

Even some objects in the night sky have close friends such as the double cluster in Perseus (NGC 869 & NGC 884) :eek:  Check it out before it gets too low in the sky in the spring - its an awesome object even on LP EPs. It should be in your book being a famous star cluster object.

Now if only those :clouds1: could stay away for some more fun with your scope :grin:

You lucky devil  :p

Seriously that was a great report and you started off with some great objects.

I've said before its amazing what you can see from your own backyard with relatively modest equipment, you just need to get out there and look.

Good luck for the future.

SB - Try to print out your first light post for a future flash back many years from now. I did a log book and reading about that very first time I used my scope so many years ago was so nice :cool:

SB - Try to print out your first light post for a future flash back many years from now. I did a log book and reading about that very first time I used my scope so many years ago was so nice :cool:

What a good idea :) I will certainly do that! I will also probably try to draw roughly what I see in a sketchbook, so that I can compare my sketches and see if I can see any difference when I look at the object again later.

There are some observing log samples on line or ask on here. Everyone has a different layout but at least the basics like object, date, time, sky conditions,  description and EP and scope used will usually be enough.

Though the scope won't change, your drawing skills will improve as will your skill to pick out more object details as time passes.

Wish you many clear nights and many nights of fun with your nice scope :grin:

Archived