Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

android app - sky eye & its free

Daniel-K

just wanted to share this. i found this app the other day just browsing on my android phone so im not sure if its available to i phones as well. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lavadip.skeye&hl=en_GB

its probably the best ive come across you can use it in conjunction with star odyssey which is another great app which tells you about the stars your observing & its in red  :cool:

It was one of the first planetarium apps I purchased but for some reason never got on with it.

After keep hearing the good reviews perhaps I'll go and see how it's changed since last time I looked.

I'll do that right now :)

I really like SkEye. It does not have a particularly large star catalog, but when you search for a star it gives you an arrow as to which way the star is in the sky. Orange when you are far away from it, green when you are close. Whereas Stellarium mobile just puts a reticule around the object and you have to hunt around the sky for it.

I paid for the Pro version yesterday to see if it inspires me more than previous versions I've tried.

Curiously I still don't like it. It has a few peculiarities that I find counter-intuitive. In particular I don't like the way the horizon (and therefore the whole frame of reference) can be swiveled to any random angle. Never seen that on any planetarium package before.

But, as I say, plenty of people like it so all is well. Plus I just spent over a fiver supporting it! :)

Curiously I still don't like it. It has a few peculiarities that I find counter-intuitive. In particular I don't like the way the horizon (and therefore the whole frame of reference) can be swiveled to any random angle. Never seen that on any planetarium package before.

That seems to be a feature of all of the mobile astronomy apps. I think it is an artifact of how they need to track movement. You can rotate you phone as you hold it up in the air, so they need to be able to rotate the field of view. Once they need to put in the rotation ability, they extend it so that you can manually rotate the view. 

I agree, most of the time I would like to be able to disable manual rotate. I get lost enough without them changing the direction of Up ;)

That seems to be a feature of all of the mobile astronomy apps. I think it is an artifact of how they need to track movement. You can rotate you phone as you hold it up in the air, so they need to be able to rotate the field of view. Once they need to put in the rotation ability, they extend it so that you can manually rotate the view. 

I agree, most of the time I would like to be able to disable manual rotate. I get lost enough without them changing the direction of Up ;)

True, true...

But on the others you have to select that mode and de-selecting is quite easy. I find that with SkyEye, as soon as you start scrolling round the screen the horizon takes off at all manner of jaunty angles and by the time you reach (if ever you do) your target you don't know if your coming or going!

Archived