Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing Weekend...

Hi everyone,

Let me start with a confession. I am a complete stargazing idiot. I know nothing.

I am, however, hoping you might be able to help me out. Over the last year or so, my husband has really been getting into space/stars "stuff" Given that we live in a city, this has so far been very much academic, with him doing a lot of reading etc. His 30th is coming up and I thought about surprising him with a weekend away that would give him the option to do some really basic stargazing. We're in the UK.

So, after a a small amount of research, Exmoor came up as an obvious option, thanks to the Dark Sky Reserve status, but to be honest, other than that basic idea, I've not got a clue what I'm doing.

Can anyone give m pointers as to where/when might be a good idea, and what I might need to research in planning this as I'm really keen to make sure I don't miss something really important out!

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I'm new myself but what about looking in the community section just below this beginners section, you may find a local weekend that is already arranged and I'm sure that fellow astronomers would only be happy to help out when on site with anything.

Which city?

It sounds as if you do not have a scope, in which case running off to Exmoor means you have a dark location but still no scope.

The only places that I (half) know of that could/would have scopes are Keilder, Galloway and Todmorden. Likley are others but nothing comes to mind.

I am not 100% sure of the next bit: Sidmouth NLO did have a Messier Marathon night in March (???).

However I expect that you are supposed to go armed with your own scope.

But it may be worthwhile checking on the situation, first is it still being run, second attending if you have no scope.

One aspect to all this: The Weather!! May be dark on Exmoor but it is all immaterial if there is cloud. If you figure out how to guarantee a clear sky people here will be very interested. Devon I have read is the second wettest county in England - that rain falls from clouds.

A pair of 10x50 binoculars would make a nice second present and would be really useful in a dark sky site.

Richard

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

If you are after some binoculars as suggested I recently started a thread in that forum as below about some cheap pairs. I've come to conclusion that I need to spend about £50 on a set.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207539-praktica-w10x50p-binoculars/

A weekend at a dark site would be a great way to start, however it`s all about the weather again. Other option is to drive out of town just for the evening when conditions are good. Don`t forget to check the Moon phase. If it is full Moon you won`t see anything else much apart from bright stars and planets. Getting to a site where the Milky Way can be seen is always a treat.

Once you are at a good site it would be a good idea to start getting to know the constellations with a star map such as the ones that are in the centre of astronomy magazines. They depict what is on view for that particular month. As already mentioned you cant go wrong with binoculars. If there are any astronomy clubs nearby you might want to along and see how it is. You will have a chance to ask questions and find out about observing sessions and events to go to. If you enjoy camping there is always some star parties to go in the spring and autumn. 

Archived