Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best View Of Jupiter Yet!!!

I had a bit of an impromptu stargazing session last night! So glad I did!!! :D It was the first time I have seen one of the moons (Ganymede) transiting across casting a shadow!!! I know it's probably seen by thousands before but it's was a spectacular sight! Alas the M82 SN was eluding me as I have a south facing garden & the clouds were covering the view north plus lots of LP. I never tire of Jupiter though! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about Jupiter never stops amazing me. Luckily for you that cloud broke. All the times I went outside last night I might of had 5 minutes partial clear skies with some high winds.Like you I have a south facing garden, fortunately the LP is far from as bad as it could be.

I had a bit of an impromptu stargazing session last night! So glad I did!!! :D It was the first time I have seen one of the moons (Ganymede) transiting across casting a shadow!!! I know it's probably seen by thousands before but it's was a spectacular sight! Alas the M82 SN was eluding me as I have a south facing garden & the clouds were covering the view north plus lots of LP. I never tire of Jupiter though! :)

I saw the same shadow too! It was amazing. At first I just saw the shadow and then about an hour later the moon had edged away from the left side of the planet as the shadow moved further to the right. I wondered which moon was causing it so thanks for letting me know :)

Got my first telescope about 2 weeks ago and, apart from last night, it's been cloudy every night since I got it. I'm in Penwortham so only about 3 or 4 miles from you. The weather had been rubbish all day so I was a bit suprised to see it clear later on. I too was looking at Jupiter but I didn't see any transit because I didn't realise it was happening. I could make out 3 moons easily enough and could just about make out the banding on the planet with averted gaze. I don't think the stock eyepieces that came with the scope (Celestron 130EQ) are up to much really. So I've only used the telescope the once thus far and I'm already looking to upgrade the scope. In the meantime I'll start with getting some decent eyepieces which will obviously transfer to a new scope. The finder on the scope is pretty rubbish too so I've already bought a Telrad.

Got my first telescope about 2 weeks ago and, apart from last night, it's been cloudy every night since I got it. I'm in Penwortham so only about 3 or 4 miles from you. The weather had been rubbish all day so I was a bit suprised to see it clear later on. I too was looking at Jupiter but I didn't see any transit because I didn't realise it was happening. I could make out 3 moons easily enough and could just about make out the banding on the planet with averted gaze. I don't think the stock eyepieces that came with the scope (Celestron 130EQ) are up to much really. So I've only used the telescope the once thus far and I'm already looking to upgrade the scope. In the meantime I'll start with getting some decent eyepieces which will obviously transfer to a new scope. The finder on the scope is pretty rubbish too so I've already bought a Telrad.

Hi devil20,

It was happening for sure :) amazing sight! Like a little black spot going across Jupiter so watch out for it next time.

Blimey you are close to home! :) The weather was shocking so I too was quite surprised at the clear spell. Whipped the scope outside to cool down like an opportunist!!! ;) soon clouded over around 1-ish. 5 mins after I got my scope inside it started to rain again!!!! Ha phew!

@Stargazer 2013  I have the same telescope as you and I can see Jupiter and her bands, spot and moons very clearly. Maybe the seeing was poor ??  I have ditched the standard EP's though and with a 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX the view is amazing.

I can see the bands and moons but I have to use the standard eye pieces and with my eyes not great it could be better if I had young eyes lol.. I just wish I could view it a bit larger

I saw a moon's shadow on Jupiter the other day for the first time too! :)

At first I didnt know what it was, but with Sky Safari in my pocket (Android Phone), it's brilliant to check and see live planet phases.. amazing value considering what it can do.

I took a series of photos of Jupiter tonight, I'm learning how to stack too, here's my composite of 42 pictures;

tT35adW.png

Archived