Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best apps for astro?

Hi

What are your favorite and most used apps for astro?

Mine are Stellarium mobile: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noctuasoftware.stellarium&hl=en_GB

A clinometer app to find the correct azimuth: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en_GB

And a polar finder app:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.techhead.polarfinder&hl=en_GB

r.

Dan

There are a wide range of apps for smart phones..

I have an Android phone so these are all Android apps.

SkEye-SkEye Pro

Mobile Observatory

Latitude Convertor

Google Sky Maps

Astro Panel

These are the ones I use the most

Hope this helps.

Cheers Roy

SkySafari is the only one I use regularly. I use the Heavens Above app for ISS predictions even though it's quite out of date. 2 key presses has me a no messing table of data :)

Never found much use for Mobile observatory.

Stellarium mobile, although much better since the recent big update, is still limited.

Never broke the ice with SkyEye.

There are others I've downloaded and rarely/never use.

Did I mention SkySafari? :)

I don't know why it's never gets mentioned, but an app in AppStore called 'Star Chart' is absolutely excellent. Very stellarium like, lovely visuals and my personal favourite. It's free, they get you with add ons such as metro shower notifications, comets etc, but they are only a £1 to £2 and very optional.

And my opinion is tech is a massive leap forward. Could not cope with any paper or planisphere plus torch on those damp dewey evenings.

My opinion is apps help you learn and enhance the astro experience.

Dan

I'd agree, although there were no mobile phones when I was doing most of my learning!

This ties in with another thread at the moment about how to deal with cloudy nights. I love playing with planetarium software and since I got my first Android phone a couple of years ago it's opened up a whole new line of software. 

I also have a 9" Android tablet that makes many apps even better. 

What I'd really like is a sunrise/set, moonrise/set/phase type calendar. I'm still looking for a good one of those.

I contacted the maker of scope nights (Egg Moon Studio) regarding this.  It does currently have sunrise/sunset and moon phase, but he said that moonrise/set times were something he was considering for future releases.  

Archived