Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Things not to miss in months Feb - April?

Hi, 

I've been waiting for Saturn to be visible in the evening sky for months, this is one thing I've been looking forward to. Also, some new galaxies I've not seen yet in Leo.

I read about another potential supernova in M99 today, so I had a look in Stellarium for M99 and found a real cluster of galaxies between Leo and Virgo and around that area. Wow - this looks like an observational (and imaging) dream. I think since I've only had a scope for 6 months I've not had a chance to look in this area yet. Am I in for a treat? Is this one of the best areas of the Northern sky?

It made me realise there's still a lot I don't know about navigating the sky and was wondering if there were any up-coming treats, perhaps in that area that must not be missed. Looks like a galaxy/DSO Aladin's cave, exciting!

Also, while I'm asking. It was clear this morning around 7, I dashed out clutching bins to try and see comet Lovejoy, but no Joy! It should be possible to see it in 15x70s? What should I be expecting, something large but dim, does the sky need to be really dark.

Also looked at Saturn through bins, I could have sworn it had a tiny but discernible non-round, disc shape - but surely it's too small to make out the rings, tell me I was imagining it?

I'm looking forward to some exciting observing in the next couple of months, with any luck.

Louis the supernovae is in M82 the Cigar Galaxy in Ursa Major. With regard to Comet Lovejoy you may find this website useful because it gives a star map with the Comet's position. http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

I viewed the Comet with 15x70 about 10 days ago and it looks like a hazy little cloud. From a dark site you should be able to see it.

With Leo, Virgo etc coming into view you should have some good viewing with your 8" scope.

Hi LouisJB.   You've mentioned waiting for months to see Saturn.  It's available now if you don't mind losing sleep. At the moment it rises around 02.00 hrs and is well clear of the horizon before dawn.  Not so well placed being low in the south, but at least it's available.  Will be a summertime evening treat.

Virgo & Coma galaxies - if you can get to a dark site with your 8", scanning the area at low power will show galaxy after galaxy, and it's easy to get lost.  To start to become acquainted with them, point your finder halfway between Denebola in Leo and Epsilon Virgo, pan around a bit for Markarian's chain, a curving arc of galaxies. From those, you can 'galaxy hop' to some other galaxies. Your 8" will show plenty, it's a visual treat.

Regards, Ed.

thanks everyone, wow this sounds fantastic. Galaxies and other DSOs are really my main thing and so far I've only seen a few along the lines of M31, M32, M110, M33, M81, M82, M27, M57 and the usual M42, 45 and planets (minus Saturn). 

So I imagine this is such a rich area because we're looking towards the Virgo cluster of which we in the MIlky way are one of about 50 galaxies or so?

I'm really bad at getting up early, although weather permitting one good imaging evening soon is likely to go into the small hours, then I'll be overloaded with new choices by the sounds of it. I've been looking at dawn for Lovejoy, I might try a bit earlier, around 6AM when the skies are darker.

Really looking forward to this fast approaching time of year where Leo and Virgo come to centre stage.

I've seen and imaged the supernova in M82, I was referring to news of potentially another, new & unconfirmed supernova in M99 - but I've not seen if it has been confirmed yet.

Since I got the 8"GSO the visual side of astronomy has really also come to be appealing as well as imaging, I'm sort of a 50/50 observer/imager - the problem is when imaging the equipment is completely tied up, I'll end up with 2 mounts and 2+ OTAs at this rate, the better half will not approve! :) In the mean time more eyepieces will be ordered, I can get away with those as they are small.

Thanks again!

So I imagine this is such a rich area because we're looking towards the Virgo cluster of which we in the MIlky way are one of about 50 galaxies or so?

I don't think we are. The Milky Way is part of the Local Group, which is some 54 galaxies. The Virgo Cluster is some 1300 galaxies and "forms the heart of the larger Virgo Supercluster, of which the Local Group is an outlying member."

I don't think we are. The Milky Way is part of the Local Group, which is some 54 galaxies. The Virgo Cluster is some 1300 galaxies and "forms the heart of the larger Virgo Supercluster, of which the Local Group is an outlying member."

aha, that makes sense. I was confusing groups and our local group with much large clusters, what a dork. Thanks Andy.

I don't know about you but I find it hard to build up a mental 3d model, a map of where things are in the space. I know where they are relatively in the 2d celestial sphere, but when I try to add in the 3'rd component, their distance it's tricky because often most of space has little visual clue about it being closer or further away than other surrounding stuff.

Nice topic. I haven't really thought about targets coming up this spring. Too busy still trying to get as many of the winter ones as I can. I just fast forwarded Stellarium and boy does the sky look different. I'm gonna have to start studying up!

I don't know about you but I find it hard to build up a mental 3d model, a map of where things are in the space. I know where they are relatively in the 2d celestial sphere, but when I try to add in the 3'rd component, their distance it's tricky because often most of space has little visual clue about it being closer or further away than other surrounding stuff.

Yeah, I spent a fair while reading up about this last night - I'm not familiar with the larger scale of the Universe. There's a nice set of diagrams at the bottom of this page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgo_Supercluster - but the best of them is HUGE (22Mb, 22000px wide!).

aha, that makes sense. I was confusing groups and our local group with much large clusters, what a dork. Thanks Andy.

For a more local view  and stuff around the milky way there is a lovely free app called "Where is M13" to have play with :smiley:

http://www.thinkastronomy.com/M13/

Because of my local light pollution and not too clear southern horizon I had never really explored the Virgo galaxy cluster, that was until I was at the Kelling Heath star party in spring. It was the year that the Icelandic volcano caused havoc for airplanes, (2010) and there was good conditions. In one weekend I had managed to see more galaxies (30+) than I had over the last 5 years of observing from home.

It was a fantastic experience! A decent low mag eyepiece will really help. My 20mm Nagler really did show what it can do, expensive but worth it in the long run!

There's a big dense swathe of galaxies running from Ursa Major through Canes Venatici, Coma, Leo and Virgo - that's our local supercluster, roughly flattish in shape. Our Local Group (containing Milky Way, M31, M33 and some others) and the Virgo Cluster are both part of it. The Local Group is spread out across the whole sky because we're in it (i.e. you need to go south to see the Magellanic Clouds) but the Virgo Cluster is far enough away to appear reasonably compact. What it means is that spring is the best season for galaxy hunting, because you've then got that whole big swathe well positioned in the night sky. The Virgo Cluster has many of the brightest targets so it's the densest galaxy field for users of small to medium scopes, with enough targets to keep anyone busy for years.

Once you get to 12" aperture or beyond (and if your sky is dark enough) you can go hunting beyond our own supercluster, the next port of call being the galaxy clusters Abell 1656 (the Coma Cluster) and Abell 1367 (the Leo Cluster) which are both part of the Coma Supercluster - also perfectly placed in spring. These offer just about the densest galaxy fields you're likely to view in an amateur scope - a really amazing site.

thanks for the excellent replies.

Acey, your description is inspiring! 

I've installed Where is M13, great fun to play around with.

Gradually building up that mental model, but it's like being dumped in a big city like LA for the first time with no map, daunting...

Really looking forward to some observing in this area when the weather permits... 

Archived