Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My own PST....Hurray!!! Any observation hints and threads appreciated

Omnipaulus

Just a few weeks ago I managed to do my first ever solar observation using the Baader filter, and I managed to capture some quick shots with my iPhone of what, according to Nasa, was the largest sunspot since 2005. However, one of my great dreams was to get a Coronado telescope, which I finally did. I managed to get a second hand, but very well looked after for £350. I had not seen it bending sold cheaper than that before. After much questioning regarding the conditions of the scope I thought, like Elvis, it is now or never. It arrived today and I am just waiting for the sun to get a bit higher before trying it for the first time. I will let you know how it went, but any quick hints to observation will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a blessing for a Solar Scope?

Thank you all.

post-32457-0-59853200-1390905137_thumb.j

post-32457-0-71120300-1390905156_thumb.j

Congrats on that new scope, and welcome to the H-alpha addicts ;)

One thing to do is to play around with the tuning system (which tunes the exact wavelength of the bandpass), to see which setting is optimal. In fact, you may find some features stand out best at one setting, and others show up better at another (that's Doppler shift for you). Enjoy the new scope!

As Michael says, careful use of the tuning ring is essential (and easy) to get the best details from the PST. The more transparent the sky, the better the image, a hazy sky soon hides the finer details. The usually supplied 20mm eyepiece gives far too low a magnification to do the PST justice, a 10mm-12mm is much better. I find that a zoom eyepiece is the most convenient to use overall.  :smiley:

Dear All, thanks for all your encouragement./

I am in danger of getting fired right now, because everytime the sun came out today I rushed to my telescope and, WOW..................NO words to describe it. As Michael Wilkinson said before, that I was in for a treat!!!! immediately I could see the prominences, some arching on the sundisk, others just projecting into the sky. The amount of detail....I managed to see darkspots, the brighter areas on the disk....am I imagining all these?

I am using a 10mm X-Cel Celestron Eyepiece though. The one that came with the telescope is of no better use than a paperweight...

Thank you all for all the support and hints. I will keep you updated...

Glad you got to see the proms. I actually find a 20 mm can be useful for fainter proms, especially detached proms further away from te sun's disks. I started out using the 8.5mm XF which is great, but when I put the MaxVision 24mm and 20mm EPs in it some time back, I was stunned to see a low surface brightness cloud some way out, which was not visible at higher magnification

I'll second and third that. I much prefer the view through my PST with my 15mm TV Plossl than I do with higher magnification ep's, such as 8mm Radian and 7 or 9mm Vixen LV's, etc. I prefer to see the entire disc, even if I do have to move it around to capture certain parts in the sweet spot.

The best addition for my 60 mm Lunt, was to make a  Black opaque cloth  hood, fitted around the blocking filter, with a draw string.

Fitted over your head, it removes any extraneous light.

Significantly improves the view.

The best addition for my 60 mm Lunt, was to make a  Black opaque cloth  hood, fitted around the blocking filter, with a draw string.Fitted over your head, it removes any extraneous light.Significantly improves the view.

Astronomy is such a fashionable pastime, don't you think :)

Archived