NEW OLDIE

Its been a long time since I have used a telescope but I do have equipment. Wanting to get started in New Jersey where it 5 degrees and very snowy out at present. Wondered if there are any good downloads to see the sky on my computer to get me famiiar with things again. This is my second retirement so maybe I'll get to do some observing and picture takeing. Help is welcome Thanks Ron

From another New Oldie to SGL, Welcome.

I'm new to all this tablet and app's stuff, however have found SkEye and Night Sky Tools android apps very good. Agree we the above posts, that for PC, stellarium is a must.

Chris

Hi ron, There is a nice one for Android Tablet called Star Chart, by Escapist Games. However this is no game, it gives you Plants, M Objects, everything. Click on something and it pops up to show you what it actually looks like. Along with all the technical information. Another good thing about it is, it's FREE.

Thanks to ALL

None of your replies were sent to me. Maybe I didn't check off something. Glad I came back to see if someone saw my post. I do have a Celestron C8SGT but seems very heavy to carry  in and out. Maybe  Binoculars would be a helpful tool. I downloaded stellarium and seems great. Any suggestions would be great for me. I would like to view and do some photography qnce its get a little warmer out. Thanks all Ron

Hi Ron and welcome to SGL :)

Stellarium is a good download for seeing the night sky on your pc as mentioned above. Another you may like to consider is Cartes du Ciel which is just as good, but with less emphasis on the flashy front end, and more on the technical aspects of planetaria and ephemeris. Hth :)

Archived