Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paying for the name?

DeepThought

I was doing some research on tracking mounts and I stumbled upon this comparison.

The Baader Nano.tracker can be purchased from 365Astronomy (and a number of other suppliers) for £259.

If however you wanted to buy a SIGHTRON Nano.Tracker (which as far as I can tell is identical) then you can get it from Amazon for around £30 less.

It gets worse though, if you happen to be Japanese then it's yours for just 17800 yen, which is just over £100.

I know we overpay for things in the UK, and I appreciate that there's import costs and various markups to consider, but it still grates a little that something can come in at 2.5 times the original asking price just by selling it in Europe and labeling it Baader.

But I suppose as long as we carry on paying it, people will carry on charging accordingly.

Happens with just about anything , clothes , electronics , cars etc most are made in the same factories. People just love a label ......... Skoda or Audi anybody ???? :grin::grin:

Slightly off topic I know... and what is wrong with Skoda nowadays? - Owned by VW who also own: Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Ducati...

...and I own and drive a Nissan Micra 1.0

Slightly off topic I know... and what is wrong with Skoda nowadays? - Owned by VW who also own: Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Ducati...

Nothing at all , I think your missing my point ( people are seduced by labels )

Yes but... to get that 'name' in the first place they had to produce something really special, whether they still do, or whether the reputation applies to all products is another matter. Manufacturers are very possesive of a good reputation and tend to work overtime to maintain it, but financial pressures sometimes mean they source a 'budget range' from elsewhere (for e.g., China) and it's here you need to be careful that you're getting value for money. I'm not saying Chinese stuff is poor, just that some dealers will sell on the basis of their reputation and thus their name. Genuine TV, AP, Tak products will hopefully remain exceptional quality. You judge the quality you want to pay for. The best value is usually obtained from a new manufacturer trying very hard to make that 'name' for themselves, they have to be both competitive on price AND produce quality goods.

ChrisH

Archived