Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skyliner 200p

Hi

I am looking for some advice on where is the best place to keep my telescope at the moment I keep it in my garage where there is condensation I am looking for a wardrobe to put it in in the garage or should I keep it in the house where the is not much space to keep it.. :-)

Have kept mine in the shed during the 12 months I've had it and it doesn't seem to be doing it any harm. I may be wrong but I use the logic that by being where it is it doesn't take as long to cool when it comes out for using as would be the case if it was stored indoors.

I'd keep it in the garage with a cover draped over it, such as those used to cover garden furniture in the winter.  If you get a breathable cover you shouldn't really get condensation if there is any ventilation.  As a precaution you can slightly put the tube over vertical so if any moisture does get on the mirror it wont stay there.

I have found that my shed is okay for scope storage because it has some ventilation, which I think may be important to reduce condensation. A wardrobe or similar in the garage would not be ventilated and so may make things worse. However I keep one of my scopes in it's case in the same shed and keep large silica gel packs in with it, which have worked so far.

I did once see some effects that suggested that a Skyliner scope had been kept in adverse conditions. If the environment is damp, presumably for a while rather than a minute's dew or even rain, the chipboard from which the mount is made may swell. This is made evident by the white melamine to black edge trim having a brown (chipboard) line in the gap that forms between them. Another effect, this time caused presumably by the sun, is that the black anodising of the focuser may have bleached a little becoming a bronze/ brown colour on the side exposed.

If the environment is damp, presumably for a while rather than a minute's dew or even rain, the chipboard from which the mount is made may swell. This is made evident by the white melamine to black edge trim having a brown (chipboard) line in the gap that forms between them. 

Would it be worth sealing the joins on the boards of the base with silicon sealant, then? (I have some left over from decorating the bathroom)

Mrs ChrisSJ allows me to keep mine indoors. They are stored in purpose built cupboards in the chimney alcoves of the dining room. One cupboard is large enough to take Flextube, and other, disassembled mounts and tubes which lay on foam covered shelves.

All it cost me, was taking Mrs ChrisSJ on holiday every years for passed 40 years. She's a diamond.

Chris

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Archived