My first attempt at Astrophotography with my new 10" Dob.

Briddie

So how did you mount the camera for Jupiter I wonder. Not hand held presumably!?

Theres load of info here about image stacking etc. I've played with it a bit, but need to get my hardware sorted first. I put a query out a little while back but so far 0 views 0 replies!!

My images are all single shots. Ive been advised to take short video clips, then stack them in registax.

Every time i try with jupiter for instance, its completly over exposed. How do i get around this?

Well, off to a good start! Can you give me an idea how much mag differnce there is between prime focus and projection method?

Magnification over prime = ( distance from EP to CCD - EP focal length ) / EP focal length

Example........100mm from EP to CCD........EP focal length 20mm

Mag over prime = ( 100 - 20 ) / 20

Mag over prime = 4

So the image will be 4 times larger than prime.

The new focal length is ........Mag over prime x scope focal length

Magnification over prime = ( distance from EP to CCD - EP focal length ) / EP focal length

Example........100mm from EP to CCD........EP focal length 20mm

Mag over prime = ( 100 - 20 ) / 20

Mag over prime = 4

So the image will be 4 times larger than prime.

The new focal length is ........Mag over prime x scope focal length

Fantastic! Thats really useful thanks, and nicely explained. Looking at the OP pics, and the relative sizes of the moon and nebula at prime, v. Jupiter with EP projection, I can see how that works.

I'm also wondering how this compares to the effective view with a digital eyepiece. Don't want to hijack the thread, but i think its related. Could you offer a comparison, even if its only an approximation. More than prime I think - and more than EP projection too?

Archived