Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

advise which to use to begin with please

Fypunky

At the start of the observing session we use the RDF (frustration at times) to get in the general area then start searching to find the target, we use the generic 20mm supplied with the scope which gives us 32.5x, one thing I have noticed is with the 15mm (45x) which is a kellner is it is so much brighter so now having used the 20mm since xmas I might just buy a new EP to replace it.

So the question is what is the general magnification you guys start with to find the target before switching EP's?

I am thinking of a 25mm plossl which on our scope would give 26x and am I right in saying a slightly wider field of view or would you go even to a 30mm @ 21x

Scope is Celestron  Astro 130eq

Cheers

I use the biggest eyepiece to deliver the widest view I can at the start.

25mm BST, 32mm or 40mm plossl.

The intention at that time is simply to find whatever, viewing it with the best magnification comes later. If you cannot find it then you don't view it at any magnification.

I use the 68-degree MaxVision 24mm at 50x magnification - simply because it has the largest view without fitting the 2" eyepiece adapter.

It also has the advantage of a bright clear view (excellent light capture).

Faint nebula can be found a little bit easier than with the narrower view, and darker image from a 52* Plossl

The 2" 42mm Revelation / GSO gives good binocular type views (28x mag).

Very useful if I am going to be looking at Andromeda galaxy, or wider objects like the Orion nebula.

But to be honest - the 9x 50mm finderscope has a better / wider view for spotting.

So I use: Finderscope / then 24mm.

If I didn't have a finderscope, I would need the 70-degree 30mm or the 65-degree 42mm wide angle eyepiece with 2-inch fittings.

They are excellent for start hopping.

Telrad,finderscope....21 ethos..

Indeed, this will be going on, the RDF although I am getting used to is still a little hard work. I just want to update the stock 20mm EP with something that will not only be that bit sharper but easier to find the target bang on when you cant see it with me peep holes, which I suppose the Telrad will do lol

Archived