NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Scope, trying to work out sizes.

Hi all,

First off thanks for all the welcomes on the Welcome forum.

I've been lurking around here for a while now as I keep getting the urge to purchase my first scope and finally it seems that the time has arrived.

As I mentioned in my welcome post one of the overriding factors I have to consider is storing whatever scope I end up purchasing.  

With this in mind I have been looking at the dobsonians, mainly the Heritage 130p as it folds down to a manageable size. I've looked at the larger dobs 150p and 200p but I can't seem to find any physical sizes on those to try and make any decisions.  If anybody can enlighten me as to the physical dimensions of the 150 & 200p I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Remember that if you are concerned about the weight, it is an easy matter to separate the tube assembly from the rocker box for moving it around.  Also, certainly with any dob up to about eight inches, the footprint is quite small when pointed at the zenith.  You can put a nice cloth cover over it and put a plant pot on top and no-one will even notice it's there if you need to keep it in the lounge.  :grin:

Thanks Aronnax & Paulo83, the 200 is definitely a lot bigger than I thought.  Great looking scope that gets lots of great reviews but I think it is probably a bit on the large side for me.

I think I may be leaning towards the Heritage 130p but I'm going to do some more reading on here to see what else I can find.

Don't want to rush in and regret it later.

Thanks Aronnax & Paulo83, the 200 is definitely a lot bigger than I thought.  Great looking scope that gets lots of great reviews but I think it is probably a bit on the large side for me.

I think I may be leaning towards the Heritage 130p but I'm going to do some more reading on here to see what else I can find.

Don't want to rush in and regret it later.

No worries. I understand size is an issue because of storage or transportation etc. I got my 200P without realising its true size and then I had a struggle finding a place to store it!

Don't worry about getting the 130P.  My other scope is a 130PDS and it's the scope I am more likely to use unless I have a compelling reason to get the big beast out.  I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from the smaller scope and not put your back out lifting it.

After all of the advice and pointers from all you great members and plenty of investigating I have finally taken the plunge and ordered my first scope.

In the end I heave plumped for the Heritage 130p from First Light Optics. I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival and fingers crossed the skys stay clear for the rest of the week.

Until it arrives I'll be out in the garden with my copy of Turn Left and my trusty binoculars :grin:

Archived