Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dumb Question alert!

Hi

I'm really sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question but where do filters sit on my scope?

I have been asked for an idea for a present and told I wanted filters, then got asked what size?

I have no idea! Do they attached to the eyepiece? To the scope? I am dumbfounded!

Sorry again for my ignorance.

Thanks

You buy the filters according to the size of the eyepiece, either 1.25" or 2" The filter normally screws into the bottom of the eyepiece. recommend you buy metal filters, as they mate better to the  metal barrel on the eyepiece. Have a peek inside the barrel of the  EP/lens, you should see the fine threaded section where the filter screws into.

If you mean filters like coloured filters, moon filters, or nebula filters, then they attach to the eyepiece (as a rule). Most eyepieces have a thread on the bottom, and you screw them on. Therefore, what size depends on the diameter of the eyepiece - 1.25" or 2". There's a good example of them here - http://science.howstuffworks.com/telescope7.htm - being fitted to the bottom of an eyepiece.

You do also get things like filter wheels, to make swapping between filters easy, but that's another thing.

If you mean filters like coloured filters, moon filters, or nebula filters, then they attach to the eyepiece (as a rule). Most eyepieces have a thread on the bottom, and you screw them on. Therefore, what size depends on the diameter of the eyepiece - 1.25" or 2". There's a good example of them here - http://science.howstuffworks.com/telescope7.htm - being fitted to the bottom of an eyepiece.

You do also get things like filter wheels, to make swapping between filters easy, but that's another thing.

.......That answers where they can sit ?

The filter tray is like the children's  3D picture viewer, but in this case, as you rotate the holder a new filter is exposed.

If you are using a barlow lens you can sometimes screw the filter into this, which saves having to swap the filter over when changing eyepieces (providing you are are wanting to use the same filter and the barlow!) The same applies to diagonals but you wouldn't be using one with your scope.

Hi

I'm really sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question but where do filters sit on my scope?

I have been asked for an idea for a present and told I wanted filters, then got asked what size?

I have no idea! Do they attached to the eyepiece? To the scope? I am dumbfounded!

Sorry again for my ignorance.

Thanks

I got my filters with a kit of eyepieces. When I got them I did not know where the filter was supposed to be so I put it on top of the eyepiece :)

i've got a Mak with a star diagonal, and my lunar filter can screw either onto the eyepiece directly, or on to the star diagonal barrel that inserts into the scope, meaning I can change eyepieces without having to change the filter over as well......

Of course, if you ever need/want a solar filter it goes over the front end of the telescope.  NEVER attempt to look at the Sun by using any filter that fits into or over the eyepiece,  SEVERE DAMAGE to your eye will  result if you do this.

i have this setup where the filters screw into the back of my 2" to 1.25" inch adapter. this way I can use 2" filters for both 2" eyepieces and 1.25" inch eyepieces.When I am using 1.25" eyepieces, I dont have to keep screwing the filters on/off , I just switch eyepieces. 

Archived