NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Selling scope on ebay

Hi guys,

This isn't a for sale thread! Just a question aimed at anyone who has sold their scope on ebay. Listing my Skywatcher 130p today, but I can't find a delivery option less than £28, is this really the best out there? That will affect the list price.

Has anyone got any experience or tips for listing a scope, I have all the original packaging so getting it secured for delivery won't be a problem.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post, I'm not advertising here, just after some tips! Or even from someone who has received a setup via ebay, what expectations should be.

Thanks guys

i`ve bought gera off e bay before but never sold anything as big as a scope, you could try selling on the forum or astro buy and sell, with luck someone not too far away from you would be willing to pick up or meet half way, failing that you`ll just have to include £28 pounds for delivery on e bay and let people factor that in there bids.

You could offer "collection only" or "buyer arranges courier" ?

There are delivery services that advertise on e.bay itself that use couriers such as DHL that would be less expensive than the price you have quoted.

You could try and sell it on UK Astro Buy & Sell which is free:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

You would need to have 250 posts to sell on this forums classified section I'm afraid.

Most of the sellers can't be bothered to deliver because it is too much hassle and potential for problems.

Almost everybody uses collect only option, but that limits your sale to local area.

My only experience of ebay is buying astro kit and it worked fine for me.

Make sure (if you want to post it) that you insist on tracked and insured delivery, otherwise you run the risk of buyer denying he/she ever received it or claiming that it was not as described or damaged in transit.

I would insist on Paypal only (or bank transfer) but again potential for scams that will leave you out of pocket is endless...

For delivery (if you choose to sell it this way) I can recommend 100% collect+

I have used Interparcel extensively for all sorts of stuff and they have never once let me down. Watch in the t&c that most "glass" items are not covered by the insurance, presumably this is the same for all of them(??).

Personally, I would prefer to pick up a scope if nothing else it allows someone to inspect it first.

Thanks for the comments guys, went with buyer collects and it all went much more smoothly than I thought, not adding a post option didn't seem to detract at all. I think that the stargazing live programme has had a huge impact as the interest on ebay was growing very quickly within hours of hitting 'list item'

Archived