Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT or Skywatcher Skymax 127

Hi guys,

I've been looking at moving forward and getting my first scope, the two that i've narrowed it down to is the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT or the Skywatcher Skymax 127. I've chose these two because they are both within my price range and from everything i've been told and read they seem like a good all round scope for me.

From what i know Celestron and Skywatcher are both owned by the same company and there isn't a massive difference between the two, i'm drawn towards the celestron more because I have some Celestron binoculars and I love them, but they're may be differences between the two that I dont really know.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/celestron-nexstar-127-slt.html

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Steve

The accessories supplied are pretty much the same with both scopes, the celestron comes with a 25mm and a 9mm eyepiece and the skywatcher with a 25mm and a 10mm eyepiece. 

The mounts look almost identical but is one more sturdy than the other or is one GoTo system better/easier?

Hi steve, I have the celestron 127 mak, so my opinion may be bias. But I've had for a year now. And to date I have no complaints. At first (I'm sure as any new toy) they were a few bugs, but that was more down to being unfamiliar with its operation under my hands than the scope it's self. But the more  I got used to its operating system, the more I've got out of it. The only critatisim I have is the slight shake you get from the tripod. But I'm sure you would get that complaint from any stock mount. Until I upgrade to a better/more stable one, a brick on the tray seems to be doing the job. With the stock ep's and diagonal will give you a pleasurable first experience into looking up, and quite quickly you will want to upgrade your ep's. What ever your price range and thoughts you have on this, I'd recommend seeking advice on the fabulous forum. Good luck, and welcome to a new world.

The accessories supplied are pretty much the same with both scopes, the celestron comes with a 25mm and a 9mm eyepiece and the skywatcher with a 25mm and a 10mm eyepiece. 

The mounts look almost identical but is one more sturdy than the other or is one GoTo system better/easier?

The mounts are far from identical (more differences than similarities). The Celestron SLT mount may have a slightly better alignment routine.

Archived