Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What shall I do?

Hi,I mentioned my problem in my Nikon D3200 camera thread but thought would start a new thread as that one was a bit long now.I bought a Nikon D3200 and also bought a T-ting and Celestron adapter and placed it on my Nikon to take some subs with my Skywatcher Explorer scope but I can't get the adapter in focus,it needs a bit further forward,probably half to one cm. Really frustrating as I really wanted to take some subs of the moon etc.Extremly disappointed. Here are some pictures

The black bit on the adapter is stopping it from going further..

Any help would be good..

post-32896-0-09385300-1389364011_thumb.j

post-32896-0-18529400-1389364030_thumb.j

post-32896-0-15875100-1389364047_thumb.j

post-32896-0-34065100-1389364060_thumb.j

post-32896-0-99373000-1389364078_thumb.j

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say you want more focus travel is it inwards or outwards?

If it's inwards then surely you do not need the adapter, as the T-ring should connect directly to the screw thread on the top of your focusser.

hope this helps,

Alan

Ok..Now when I try to take a picture the shutter won't click,I know its supposed to say no lens attached but how am I supposed to take a picture if the shutter won't let me?

Do you need to put the camera in manual mode?

James

Hmmm.  That part you've drawn the arrow to has a thread on the back, doesn't it?  Looks like it to me from the photo anyhow.

Will the T-ring adaptor for the camera screw straight onto that without the piece that's between them in that photo?

James

Hmmm.  That part you've drawn the arrow to has a thread on the back, doesn't it?  Looks like it to me from the photo anyhow.

Will the T-ring adaptor for the camera screw straight onto that without the piece that's between them in that photo?

James

Evening James..When I take the adapter off I get a inch closer to the end of the black winder part so I thought I would be ok but no lol..

Have tried just the t-ring james if thats what you mean?

That's what I meant.  The only option I can think of if that doesn't work is a T-to-1.25" adapter into a 2x barlow into the focuser.  If that doesn't work it's probably a case of getting longer collimation bolts and moving the mirror up the tube a bit.

James

That's what I had in mind.  I guess it's a lot like the Celestron part you have already, but more compact.  If you put that into the back of a 2x barlow, the barlow may move the focal point outwards far enough that you can get focus.  It's a bit of a gamble, but easier than moving the mirror, replacing the focuser or buying a different scope :)

James

130P - you may have to move the primary mirror, I had to as no matter how I fitted the DSLR is wouldn't quite focus. I even shaved some plastic off the top of the focuser, it isn't enough.

I still have the tube, I can take a pic tomorrow of what it looks like with modified bolts.

Bad news, you have to be a tiny bit brave to do it, good news, it cost about £2 in parts and is easy really. You will need to recolminate after, so some cheshire or whatever to do that will be needed.

However, I was using a Pentax K5, different cameras have different sensor locations, so you might be luckier with the Nikon, but it is a well known limitation of the 130P.

Just a thought: can you achieve focus with the camera attached to the barlow which has the lens cell screwed into the end? The picture above looks like the barlow doesn't have the cell attached (I may be wrong).

That would obviuosly double the focal length of the telescope so might not give you what you want, but might get you going? Apologies if you've already done this - it was just a thought...

Archived