Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Well I borrowed some money and bought a 130p skywatcher heritage which should be here soon. Hopefully this will give me focus.

Of all of the 130P models I'd expect this one to be the worst for astrophotography.

James

Do you not have a mount for your existing scope?

James

Were you quoting the above because you wanted to know why?

James

Well you are right. There is no way of even adding a t ring.to the scope. Feels pretty cheap tac to me. Hope it does the bizz when it comes to searching the sky

Well you are right. There is no way of even adding a t ring.to the scope. Feels pretty cheap tac to me. Hope it does the bizz when it comes to searching the sky

It's a great little scope - I've used the eq mounted 130p. The Dobsonian mount makes finding things easier - you just point the red dot finder at the sky and look through the eyepiece. The optics of the scope are the same as the eq-mounted 130p (which I assume your other one is) but has the advantage of the simpler mount, and it's collapsible so more transportable.

But as James says, it's not very suitable for astrophotography.

Dave.

• Like 1

As a beginner's visual scope I think it's excellent value for money.  I suspect the entire focuser assembly just isn't strong enough to hold a DSLR steady and may well add too much weight to the upper cage for the truss rods.

The one version of the 130P that really should allow a DSLR to reach focus is the 130PDS.  It has a shortened tube compared with the 130P (and a better focuser).

James

• Like 1

Thanks for reply. It was only bought because of the easy way it could be moved. I will try the other one for astrophotography but am having problems as you know. Hope to try that with a x2 Barlow weather permitting lol

• Like 1

That's it..I am packing in astromony..I still can't focus with the scope using the Nikon cam

Also this new heritage dob scope is useless. The focuser is rubbish,can't even focus on the moon...Most awkward scope to see through.

The focus actually came off in my hands trying to focus..I feel like screaming!!!! :(

Edited by Stargazer 2013

It's far from useless.  It's generally very well regarded.  Not for sticking a camera in, but that's not a surprise.

If you want to get focus with the camera, try moving the truss arms down to make the tube shorter by, say, 20mm.  Exactly how much is required might need some experimentation.

James

I can't even focus with the new heritage..This one seems a smaller FOV..When I turn the focus there seems to be dirt or something ..Going to send it back but there are 4 marks on the metal where you tighten the thumbscrew

It's far from useless.  It's generally very well regarded.  Not for sticking a camera in, but that's not a surprise.

If you want to get focus with the camera, try moving the truss arms down to make the tube shorter by, say, 20mm.  Exactly how much is required might need some experimentation.

James

If you want to get focus with the camera, try moving the truss arms down to make the tube shorter by, say, 20mm.  Exactly how much is required might need some experimentation

But there is no way I can use a camera in the Heritage so I can't use a cam,the cam was for my other scope the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130-P

The mirrors don't seem to be lined up properly,when I look into a eyepiece I sort of see 60%ok but the other 40% I see blackness..This is not normal surely?

If the truss arms are fully extended then it sounds like it may need collimating.  That's perfectly normal for a newtonian scope and perhaps a bit more common for truss models than for solid tubes.

James

Yes I have moved the secondary mirror about a bit and am getting about 90% of of view when I look through it,without a lens I have my eye in the centre of the mirror on the dot on the primary mirror,if that makes sense lol

This is right?,I am seeing this looking through my lens

Oh and the cam fits nicely with the 1.25" celestron adapter and t-ring..:)

post-32896-0-02596700-1389914631.png

Edited by Stargazer 2013

Approximately so, yes.  There must be some tutorials on collimating a newt somewhere.  I can't recall where I learnt from.

James

yeah quite a few youtube vids..I am wary of doing that,need to learn much more to do that yet lol..I will keep this scope but if I can't focus then its going to be put away..

I don't like the focus thing where you turn the focus knob though..it can come off in your hands if turned too much

Ah, yes, it has a helical focuser, doesn't it?  If you search the DIY section you may find some mods to improve it.  I feel sure I've seen some, though perhaps a while back.

James