SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What shall I do?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I borrowed some money and bought a 130p skywatcher heritage which should be here soon. Hopefully this will give me focus.

Of all of the 130P models I'd expect this one to be the worst for astrophotography.

James

Well you are right. There is no way of even adding a t ring.to the scope. Feels pretty cheap tac to me. Hope it does the bizz when it comes to searching the sky

It's a great little scope - I've used the eq mounted 130p. The Dobsonian mount makes finding things easier - you just point the red dot finder at the sky and look through the eyepiece. The optics of the scope are the same as the eq-mounted 130p (which I assume your other one is) but has the advantage of the simpler mount, and it's collapsible so more transportable.

But as James says, it's not very suitable for astrophotography.

Dave.

As a beginner's visual scope I think it's excellent value for money.  I suspect the entire focuser assembly just isn't strong enough to hold a DSLR steady and may well add too much weight to the upper cage for the truss rods.

The one version of the 130P that really should allow a DSLR to reach focus is the 130PDS.  It has a shortened tube compared with the 130P (and a better focuser).

James

That's it..I am packing in astromony..I still can't focus with the scope using the Nikon cam

Also this new heritage dob scope is useless. The focuser is rubbish,can't even focus on the moon...Most awkward scope to see through.

The focus actually came off in my hands trying to focus..I feel like screaming!!!! :(

It's far from useless.  It's generally very well regarded.  Not for sticking a camera in, but that's not a surprise.

If you want to get focus with the camera, try moving the truss arms down to make the tube shorter by, say, 20mm.  Exactly how much is required might need some experimentation.

James

It's far from useless.  It's generally very well regarded.  Not for sticking a camera in, but that's not a surprise.

If you want to get focus with the camera, try moving the truss arms down to make the tube shorter by, say, 20mm.  Exactly how much is required might need some experimentation.

James

If you want to get focus with the camera, try moving the truss arms down to make the tube shorter by, say, 20mm.  Exactly how much is required might need some experimentation

But there is no way I can use a camera in the Heritage so I can't use a cam,the cam was for my other scope the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130-P

If the truss arms are fully extended then it sounds like it may need collimating.  That's perfectly normal for a newtonian scope and perhaps a bit more common for truss models than for solid tubes.

James

yeah quite a few youtube vids..I am wary of doing that,need to learn much more to do that yet lol..I will keep this scope but if I can't focus then its going to be put away..

I don't like the focus thing where you turn the focus knob though..it can come off in your hands if turned too much

Archived