NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p First Light

DaveNicko

After many months/years of wanting a telescope of my own (not including the Tasco telescope I had when I was younger), this year I finally took the plunge and ordered one. I had many deliberations about which telescope to buy – should I buy one purely for imaging, one purely for visual or try and get a telescope which would do both? I finally came to the conclusion that I would want a telescope purely for visual use, and would start imaging with my DSLR and a (future project) barn door.

Considering that I would not be imaging with this telescope, it seemed sensible that a Dobsonian would be the natural choice. The Skywatcher Skyliner seems to be a very popular choice and receives excellent reviews. I thought that I couldn’t go wrong with the telescope which is “the UK’s most popular Dobsonian telescope”. I was not disappointed.

Putting myself at risk of sounding like a broken record, and I know I do, the service from First Light Optics (which is where I bought the telescope) was excellent. The telescope was ordered over the busy post-Christmas period, but yet they somehow managed to get the telescope to me within two working days of their office re-opening.

I received the telescope yesterday (at work) and couldn’t wait to get it home. The base was very easy to put together, and once together felt very solid – much more solid than I expected. Before I knew everything was ready to take outside and use. Of course when I got outside it was cloudy – overcast almost – but there were gaps appearing in the cloud.

The first job I had to do was align the finderscope. Making good use of the cloudy sky, I aligned the finder with the optical tube of the telescope as best as I could by eye, and waited for a gap in the clouds. I didn’t have to wait long for one to appear to the North. I swung the telescope round and aimed it at the brightest star in that direction, which I think was probably Kochad in Ursa Minor. I centred it in the telescope, and used the two thumb screws to move the finder into the correct optical path. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to align – the whole job was done in less than ten seconds.

So I had an aligned finder, looked to the east and saw Jupiter – a planet I have seen many times in binoculars and a few times in other telescopes, and my next target.

It is worth mentioning here that to centre the finderscope I found that if I kept both eyes open, the cross inside the finder essentially projected onto the night sky. I therefore lined the cross up with Jupiter using my left eye, then closed the left eye and looked through the finderscope with my right eye. I centred the finder on the planet and, with the 25mm eyepiece, looked through the telescope. I was instantly blown away. I wasn’t expecting to see so much detail with such a wide field of view. I popped in the 10mm and it was much easier to see detail on the surface – the two equatorial belts very prominent and defined. With the 10mm and 2x barlow I bought at the same time (the skywatcher deluxe 2x barlow) I could swear that I saw another belt in addition to the equatorial belts – I will have to look again.

I realised at this point that the collimation was slightly off, and that I should take the time to collimate the telescope properly in the coming days. I did a quick star test, without really knowing what I was doing, and found there to be a slight astigmatism (oval de-focussed stars switching between the horizontal and the vertical at front/back focus). I also didn’t see the airy disc – but having read up on star tests realise now the 25mm eyepiece isn’t the one to use. I believe that 1-2x magnification per millimetre is required for the test – which means 203 – 406x. With a focal length of 1200mm, and a 2x barlow doubling the focal length of the telescope to 2400mm a 10mm eyepiece will give me 240x so just enough. My other problem was defocussing the star too much, I believe that to see the airy disc, the star needs to only be slightly defocussed. I’m sure someone on here will correct me if I am wrong…

Ignoring the collimation issues, and being utterly blown away by what I was seeing in any case, I moved on.

Next target was Polaris – so I could look at it without the need for tracking, and to try and split it. I centred it in the finder using the same technique as above, and had a look. It was perfectly in the centre of the field of view. Just below and to the right, next to one of the diffraction spikes, was the companion – clear as day. I was very happy!

Next up were two of the clusters in Auriga – M36 and M38. I’ve seen these many times in binoculars, appearing as nice smudges in the sky, so knew how to find them. But the task becomes more difficult with a finder telescope. With the help of the stellarium app for my phone, I saw that M38 lay halfway between Iota and Theta Aurigae. so I pointed the ‘projected crosshair’ there, looked through the finder to see a little fuzzy patch. Looked through the telescope again and wow – a really nice sea of stars. I repeated the same for M38 – amazing such sharpness and detail with the 25mm eyepiece.

I found the finder telescope to be a little out of focus for my eyes, but apparently you can focus it – it was just too dark for me to figure out (and I hadn’t read the manual)!

I looked up towards Ursa Major, and thought I would try and find M81 and M82 – which I have seen before in other telescopes, and (from a very dark site) through binoculars. I know exactly where they are, so I pointed the finderscope there, had a look through the eyepiece and… nothing. I knew I wasn’t far away so started to circle and within a few seconds they were both there! Just two smudges of light – one slightly oval, the other sausage shaped. I was so pleased, and couldn’t believe how easy the telescope is to use.

Then I looked Mintaka (the right hand star in Orion’s belt) and found the split of this double star very easy. I was waiting for M42 to appear above the house behind so I went back to Jupiter, M36 and M38 again and Polaris. I then realised the double cluster was almost near the zenith so I pointed the telescope at it. And again – excellent views, in fact I got the majority both clusters in the same field of view which was a stunning sight.

At this point M42 had risen above the house, so this was my next target. And stunning it was too. If I don’t include the time I went to Kielder for one of their Aurora nights, and looked at it through a 12/14” telescope with a ‘hand grenade’ lens attached to it, this is the best I have ever seen it. I could make out quite a lot of structure with the 25mm, and even spotted M43 for the first time. I could see 4 of the 6 (main) stars of the trapezium (according to ‘Turn Left at Orion’). With the 10mm I was hoping to see all 6 – but it wasn’t the night for it. I will revisit this (probably many times) with the 10mm and 2x barlow and see if I can make out all 6.

And that was it. I only spent an hour outside, but managed to see a great deal. I am extremely happy with this telescope, and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of buying it. I can’t wait for the sky to be clear again!

Dave.

This was a very busy night for you - well done.

The finder scope has a locking ring at the front which allows the end cap to rotate in and out on the treads.

I needed to unscrew it out by 5mm to get focus, so don't be shy.

You can set the finderscope up in daylight using a distant object to get it near enough before the final adjustment on the stars.

The 9x 50mm is like a mini telescope on it's own.

This was a very busy night for you - well done.

The finder scope has a locking ring at the front which allows the end cap to rotate in and out on the treads.

You can set the finderscope up in daylight using a distant object to get it near enough before the final adjustment on the stars.

The 9x 50mm is like a mini telescope on it's own.

Excellent, thanks for the tip.

I love the finderscope - I was worried initially it wouldn't be as good as a red dot finder, but I find that as I am quite familiar with the sky anyway (due to time with binoculars) I find it relitively straightforward finding objects for which I already know the location. Finding new objects will be the real tester - I have Turn Left at Orion to get me started, and the Ridpath/Tirion stars and planets book which I bought in the late 80s. Plus various printed and electronic star atlases :-).

Dave.

Depending on your height, you may find that a water butt stand helps with the back bending when using the finderscope.

Mrs R finds it too tall on the stand - but the extra height is perfect for me at 5-foot 10".

You need this type for the 52cm base (not the alternative models which are 5mm too small)

This is the best price at the moment.

http://www.crowders.co.uk/buy/watering/water-butt-diverters-linking-kits/water-butt-stand-black-60x32cm?gclid=CMzzz7u4rLoCFVHMtAodrlQANQ

Drill two extra holes for the feet and you are ready to go.

medium_1_2403005_water_butt_stand_black_

Really excellent scope and good report.

M34 and M35 are nice targets just now .this is a handy guide,

http://www.skymaps.com

Nick.

Thanks - that's a good link... and good target tips.

Depending on your height, you may find that a water butt stand helps with the back bending when using the finderscope.

Mrs R finds it too tall on the stand - but the extra height is perfect for me at 5-foot 10".

You need this type for the 52cm base (not the alternative models which are 5mm too small)

This is the best price at the moment.

http://www.crowders.co.uk/buy/watering/water-butt-diverters-linking-kits/water-butt-stand-black-60x32cm?gclid=CMzzz7u4rLoCFVHMtAodrlQANQ

Drill two extra holes for the feet and you are ready to go.

medium_1_2403005_water_butt_stand_black_

That's a great idea - my back took a bit of a beating last night (I am 6'2"). My options are either this or an adjustable stool...

Good choice and nice first light report! But now I know who to blame for the weather......

Yes - many apologies for the weather, but I had to buy a telescope at some point! :-)

Best wishes,

Dave.

Good report. It shows just how much easier it is when you know the sky (I'll get there one day).

Also, liked your point about keeping both eyes open when using the finder scope. Sadly this doesn't work if you have gone for the, much recommended (but very comfortable), Right Angle finder. I've had to bolt an old drilled out tennis ball can on top of mine so that I can do exactly as you describe.

After using binos you'll be hankering after some exotic wide angle eyepieces soon........

Paul

Worked a treat! Thanks.

Good report. It shows just how much easier it is when you know the sky (I'll get there one day).

Also, liked your point about keeping both eyes open when using the finder scope. Sadly this doesn't work if you have gone for the, much recommended (but very comfortable), Right Angle finder. I've had to bolt an old drilled out tennis ball can on top of mine so that I can do exactly as you describe.

After using binos you'll be hankering after some exotic wide angle eyepieces soon........

Paul

Thanks! Yeah, it makes a huge difference if you know the sky well(ish!). That was the main reason I was in no rush to buy a telescope - I had plenty of fun with the binoculars (and still will). A wide angle large FOV eyepeice would be nice, but can wait for now :smiley:

A good report, well done Dave.

Thanks!

Dave.

Archived