Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading to 2" William optics diagonal on my 8SE

Hi all,

I'm wanting to upgrade the standard diagonal to the carbon WO 2" (followed by a hyperlion zoom and additional 32 wideview tbc)

Will this need additional components to fit or bolt right on?

Also will the size restrict the scopes vertical movement? At the moment the focused is the lowest obstruction?

Finally does the carbon element give lightness or is this just for show?

Finally finally are there any other diagonals that offer equal performance and looks for less money?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a W/O 2" Carbon diagonal on my C9.25 and it attached with no problem. I am pretty sure it would also attach to your ota. The Williams does come with an additional fitting device, but I would recommend taking a look at The Baader 2" quicklock device as well http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-click-lock-2-for-celestron-meade-sct.html. Alot of people on SGL (me included) swear by it. Far and away the easiest and quickest way of attaching and adjusting the diagonal to your ota. The Hyperion zoom would then attach directly to the diagonal in 2" mode.

I have a W/O 2" Carbon diagonal on my C9.25 and it attached with no problem. I am pretty sure it would also attach to your ota. The Williams does come with an additional fitting device, but I would recommend taking a look at The Baader 2" quicklock device as well http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-click-lock-2-for-celestron-meade-sct.html. Alot of people on SGL (me included) swear by it. Far and away the easiest and quickest way of attaching and adjusting the diagonal to your ota. The Hyperion zoom would then attach directly to the diagonal in 2" mode.

Thanks, I've heard good things about the quicklock. Does it add more length to the diagonal when used or does it replace the tube of thie diagonal?

The WO diagonal is a great bit of kit, it usually comes with an SCT adaptor which allows direct coupling to an SCT OTA in place of the WO nose piece and scope visual back.

As far as the diagonal fouling the mount, even though  I have a C8 and an SE 6/8 mount I've never used it with this combination so cannot advise.

Yes the carbon sides make it lighter.

Not sure if the Baader Quicklock adds any more length, but Is it a critical thing for you? In the even that it does it will only be by a few millimeters anyway. Even in the event that it makes it a little bit longer as long as it isn't fouling on anything then I would advise getting one for this reason.

Before I had my Quicklock I was using the standard 1.25 diagonal that came with the scope. As you are aware, the standard supplied diagonal attaches to the scope via a knurled locking screw. Well one night while outside observing, I was trying out my brand new Hyperion 17mm eyepiece when the lockscrew on the diagonal worked loose and it fell out of the back of the scope with my spangly new ep still attached. Thank goodness it fell onto soft grass. After this near miss I started searching for a more reliable and secure way of attaching everything to the scope. That is when I discovered the Quicklock. And as an added bonus it uses a brass collar to clamp around the nosepiece of the diagonal/eyepiece rather than a single lockscrew that will gouge and scratch into the soft metal of the item it is attached to. As I said I have the W/O 2" Carbon Diagonal and Quicklock. It works a dream for me. I also use this in conjunction with my Baader Asperic 36mm eyepiece. Great for wide vistas of the sky. Used in 2" form it gives a 70% fov I think.

As Herbig mentioned, the W/O 2" Carbon comes with a SCT adapter which just replaced the nosepiece on the diagonal. This then just screws directly onto the visual back of your ota. I initally thought of doing that way myself, but then I thought about the constant screwing and unscrewing of the diagonal in order to get it into a good observing position would eventually wear the thread on the visual back. That is why I ended up getting the Baader Quicklock.

I have just come to the same conclusion. I have a WO diagonal on my SCT and found it inconvenient to keep loosening and tightening the WO supplied SCT back so have a Baader click lock "in the post". I suspect that even if it does make the connection longer, it will only be by a minimal amount.

Thanks guys, I have the baader quicklock, WO 2" diagonal, baader zoom and 32mm skywatcheer panaview firmly I'm my sights. I will sleep on it first but I want to optimise my scope as this is my second setup after a break from astronomy and I kind of know what I want from it. £500 well spent hopefully on some great optics

Your input has been most welcome here so thanks...

Andy

Well I had a sleep and have just ordered the diagonal, quicklock and Panaview from FLO

I think I'll wait till the end of Jan for the Baader zoom being so soon after Christmas.

Good choice, letting the wallet recover is also a good idea ;).

Hope you enjoy it.

I suspect that even if it does make the connection longer, it will only be by a minimal amount.

I was surprised to find that using the Baader instead of the WO supplied SCT back moved the diagonal out by 3cm. It is far easier to adjust though.

There is a 1.5cm boss on the back of my C9.25 that the Baader screws onto, but I am not sure if it is supposed to be removed. If it is removable then I can get back 1.5cm, but I'm not sure it will matter that much.

Ps I've been checking out this thread. It's 21 pages of nexstar goodness with some funky and ott mods. Well worth a quick scan. The WO diag is very popular it seems

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1729944/page/0/view/expanded/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

I certainly is. I looked at the Baader version for all of two seconds until I saw the piece of it. I got the Quicklock and the W/O carbon diagonal for the price of the Baader diagonal on it's own. It oozes quality.

I had a storage problem with my C9.25 ota until someone recommended a large plastic storage box from Ikea and some cheap cushions to lay inside it to act as padding. Worked a treat. Who knows. I have the StarSense accessory on my hit list once they have sorted to glitches out as well. Then I think that will be that for astro purchases for me. I am sure the wife will be highly delighted. 

I had a storage problem with my C9.25 ota until someone recommended a large plastic storage box from Ikea and some cheap cushions to lay inside it to act as padding. Worked a treat. Who knows. I have the StarSense accessory on my hit list once they have sorted to glitches out as well. Then I think that will be that for astro purchases for me. I am sure the wife will be highly delighted.

Yeah it's pretty snug in the suitcase. Currently the front door is out of use until I find a home :-/

post-12512-0-07191900-1389039595.jpg

Well my toys arrived this morning and i'm thrilled to bits. The WO diag is a stunning piece of kit, I cant get over how little it weighs too. Unfortunately I noticed a defect with the coating so Ive emailed FLO who i'm sure will sort. Bit of a shame but it's cloudy for the next week at least so nothing lost..

post-12512-0-19961700-1389088307_thumb.j

Interesting thread.  Would there be any advantage in sticking the WO 2" on my Celestron NexStar 6SE?

I think so, but more experienced people will be able to explain.

Loads of people use 2" diagonals on the tread I linked earlier. I like the idea of optimising the telescope and giving as many options as possible. The WO diag comes with a 1.25 sleeve so small or big eye pieces can be used. I'll leave a better explanation to the pros

Whilst googling through reviews on these diagonals I came across another thread on this site where the Revelation one was highly recommended as offering better value for money than the Williams optics.  It's actually a very recent one under Discussions.

Archived