Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with equipment

Coffeecup25.........Hi, welcome. A Telrad is a good buy although I need glasses to to the reticule on mine, but I don't wear glasses for the telescope ( not yet, I may have to change that) and download a freeware program called STELLARIUM. 

Hi all

I need help with getting equipment for my skywatcher 250px. I'm thinking about getting a telrad finder and a S & T sky pocket atlas. Are these good or do you recommend something else?

Thanks in advance.

Both the Telrad and the atlas are great. If you do get a Telrad, you might want to get the dewcap for it as well, or make one (search the DIY section here on SGL. It's a bit of a dew magnet. As others already suggested, download Stellarium.

"Should i get a RACI or a telrad?"

You can get either or both - it all depends on what you're comfortable with. But they are both different ways of looking at the sky - the finder magnifies whereas the Telrad doesn't. I use both on my dob and find them both very useful - but it may create a balance problem putting both on your scope.

I had the raci first on a 12" dob and it was very comfy to use in all positions low or high with no weight probs - the Telrad is perhaps more suited to larger dobs (or less suited to smaller ones) - but that's just opinion - if you can get to a club observing session and try both out first you'll soon know what's best for you. :)

Yes it will overbalance with both on a 10" dob - it did so on my 12" dob - especially when I used larger eyepieces. It can be solved with counter weights on the primary end - but that's just more modding work - and if you have motors or goto it just adds weight/strain for the motors to push against.

Try before you buy is always a good idea - and you'll find most clubs are friendly enough to let new members try out eyepieces and other bits of kit before they spend hard earned cash. If there's no club nearby then go for the raci first (just from my experience) you won't have any problem with it at all. :)

And I don't think there is any clubs where i live

Its a pity the Museum is closed for 2014?
They would no doubt have some information about clubs, and obviously, an astronomy visit to a museum would be nice for a day. :smiley:
Observatory Museum, Drottninggatan 120, Stockholm 113 60, Sweden +46(0)8-54548390 

As brantuk, you can use either, or both. On my 6" I only use a Telrad but on my 12" dob I use both Telrad and RACI. However I do need to get some sort of counterweight soon, at least when I use my 2"EP.

There's a club in Stockholm, Stockholms Amatörastronomer. Perhaps you can contact them? http://www.starastro.org/

/Stellan

Lol Coffeecup - we usually look it up for new astronomers who don't know where to start. Also you'll notice Stellan is in Sweden so he has a very good idea where to find local clubs.

No question is too much trouble here - we were all new to the hobby once so there's a lot of empathy for beginners. :)

Archived