Some nights it just doesn't pay to go outside...

frugal

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why I now have a virtuoso 90mm mak. Set up is 1 main and then viewing. Appreciate it is not imaging but I feel I lost any connection to astronomy once I began to image.Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good for you if your skies and eyes are up for it! Mine aren't so its camera every time and I enjoy seeing faint stuff in colour after a few seconds exposure :-)

Appreciate it is not imaging but I feel I lost any connection to astronomy once I began to image.

can see how that can happen, many times have I been sat outside at 2am squinting at the graphs from phd when the cosmos and milky way are gloriously laid out above me and totally ignored.

Still, I have an intervalometer and a pair of bins now, so can set the telescope whirring away and appreciate things a bit more. 

Absolutely, it is possible to spend more time staring at the laptop screen rather than the sky, however the results are just so revealing of the fuzzy grey areas visible in the eyepiece that it opens up the night sky to us. Also, I now have a deck chair and table in my set-up, so once everything is working, I love leaning back in the chair and starring up at the heavens, totally relaxed and enjoying its beauty. Nothing better than seeing a fireball whizz between Taurus and Orion as the camera exposes 15min subs of the Horsehead Nebula.....

Absolutely, it is possible to spend more time staring at the laptop screen rather than the sky, however the results are just so revealing of the fuzzy grey areas visible in the eyepiece that it opens up the night sky to us. Also, I now have a deck chair and table in my set-up, so once everything is working, I love leaning back in the chair and starring up at the heavens, totally relaxed and enjoying its beauty. Nothing better than seeing a fireball whizz between Taurus and Orion as the camera exposes 15min subs of the Horsehead Nebula.....

I did exatcly the same thing last March but used the 15X70s to free myself from the imaging rig, what freedom....

Regards,

A.G

Archived