Trouble with bins

Hey fellow gazers.

Hope you all had a good new year.

I have been given a pair of binoculars, not sure what make, they have a WA on the lens cap and an orange/red tint on lenses 10X50 The problem is the images don't line up to make one image. I can turn the barrel on one side so they line up but then it is loose. There are screws in various places, are these collimation screws or are they just broke. I'm kinda new to binocular viewing so any help will be honoured

I don't think collimating binoculars is for the faint hearted, but the screws for adjusting the prisms are often on the outside of the main body of the binoculars, possibly under the rubber cover.

If they're old and otherwise useless though, I don't suppose you have anything to lose!

Cheers

Magnacraft make something similar ? That's the nearest I can see at present. The Barrel shouldn't need to be removed. If both barrels give you a clear, focused image looking through the eyepiece, but not as one, then there may be  some misalignment at the hinge point. Not sure collimation is something you would want to try. 

What as the - o + for on one of the eyepieces? [sic]   You would normally focus and adjust the binoculars using your left eye only? Once set, you then adjust only the dioptre setting on the right eye piece from + to - in order to get the right eye correctly focused. Unless the Binoculars have had some heavy fall or rough treatment, its unlikely collimation is a fault, but more likely a twisted barrel somewhere along the pivot line.

That sounds like the barrel may have been damaged some how. There is obviously some defect your noticing. If you swap the barrels over, does the defect shift or stay on the same side?

Its possible the barrel is mis-threaded, causing the out-of alignment issue? Once both barrels are correctly aligned, you should have a circular shaped image in the viewfinder, not the figure of 8 as depicted in the movies?

Do you have rubber eye cups on the diopters? It doesn't look like it in the pictures. Or do they have twist up eye cups?

It's not been mentioned in the thread so far - but are you adjusting them to focus correctly by setting the diopters properly?

Do you have rubber eye cups on the diopters? It doesn't look like it in the pictures. Or do they have twist up eye cups?

It's not been mentioned in the thread so far - but are you adjusting them to focus correctly by setting the diopters properly?

No rubber eye cups, looks like they might have been removed.

And yes charic went through the proper way to focus

I will be testing on the moon tomorrow so will see if they are fixed

Archived