NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Million Dollar Question........

Out of everything on the market accessory wise, what do you see as the "must haves" regarding eyepieces etc for general Lunar, planets, stars and DSO observations and AP?

I plan on making a shopping list for when I get a scope!!! :grin: Oh........ and paid!!! :tongue:

To me it is simply being honest about doing AP.

So many ask what scope, get the biggest reflector on a dobsonian base, or the cheapest reflector on a dobsonian base, then asks how do I take images with this?

Once you actually know and realise what your intentions are then it is a lot easier to get the right equipment. It is also a lot easier to suggest the right equipment.

For visual observation, start with the eyepieces supplied with the telescope. Get used to the basics of finding targets, looking at them, and seeing as much detail as possible. Find out what you can or cannot see from your site, and find out what sort of objects you prefer to look at. Give it a few months before you start thinking about getting more equipment, otherwise you risk getting a lot of stuff that will disappoint or be left unused.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my first scope it came with a 1.25" 25mm and a 9mm. Getting the fever, I went to the extreme and bought a 1.25" 3mm planetary and a 2x barlow. Then I went to the other extreme and bought a 2" 38mm wide angle.

When I got my second scope it came with a 2" 30mm wide angle and a 1.25" 9mm. (would have liked something different than the 9mm as I already had it!)

Also ended up getting a 12mm reticle.

So as of now I have a 1.25" 25, 12, 9, and 3mm. As well as a 2" 38 and 30mm

Every time I have gone out observing I have used just 3 of them. I align the GOTO using the 12mm reticle (which I really like! very accurate!) then depending on the target use the 25 or 9 and interchange them with the barlow. Usually start with the 25, then the 25 with barlow, then to the 9 and then if possible, the 9 and barlow.

On 2 occasions have I used the 3mm and only on Jupiter under good viewing conditions. But the views I had with it were spectacular even though I was pushing the SLT to the limit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes, EP fever can hit and you want all sorts of pieces. If you have the money to get them I say go for it! But don't be surprised if a lot of them just sit in your case collecting dust! I would recommend getting a 2x barlow if you don't have one already. It's probably the best investment I've made so far.

Great advice. Only had my scope for 1 week, used it 3 times and itching to get more EP's.

But understand it best to wait and play some more with what I have, before shelling out on new parts.

Craig.

With the general standard of supplied eyepieces i have often thought that they could put people off of astronomy more then anything. Tends to be why I usually suggest an additional lens that may provide a better image and make the start more plearurable.

There are a good number of posts that appear here and go along the lines of "couldn't see anything" and "disappointed with what I saw". Makes it difficult.

I know it is very difficult but the best advice is to be patient and start off with the equipment that comes with the scope.  Thus try out the eyepieces and the Barlow.  Both the 10mm and the Barlow may not be good. Also try a Skywatcher 7 - 21mm zoom eyepiece - cheap and works well.  Gives you 5 eyepieces for one, 7, 9, 11, 15 and 21.  That will give you some idea of what can be seen and, more important,  how often you are likely to use the various eyepieces - then go for quality single ones.  And warm Clothing is very important.

As you get progress you will discover what really appeals to you.

I would wait and use what you have for now.....and in the meantime read this sticky post: Eyepieces: The very least you need. It should provide insight into what eyepieces you should aim for as well as the more important 'why' they are right.

Then you have the filters...Nebula, Moon , colour etc....I would say just go easy.. I don't consider these as needed off the bat. Find out what you enjoy looking at and save for the appropriate one as funds become free.

I would add that any accessory will need a place to stay (so if you are going to intend to upgrade your EP's), then an eyepiece case to put them in (protect that investment) look at Maplin's, they usually do some flight cases for around £20.

Then as CSM stated...clothing (layers) and a nice thermos flask.

Regards

I'd start with what you'd like to observe. Planets will need x120 to x200.Galaxies from x50 -x100. Planetary nebulae x100-x150. Reflection and emission nebulae from x30 -x60.Double stars from x40 -x200.

This will give you a useful spread of eps. Your results will be dependant on seeing conditions. In the UK there's little point in spending shedloads .

I'd get a SW Uhc filter which is ace on planets and nebulae.I don't bother with red, blue or colour filters. They'll not enhance apoor view.

The most important thing to get is

clear skies,

Nick.

Amazing advice above and nothing much more I can say, so I'll just add that if you're into visual observing try whenever possible to Slow Down.

Anything just glanced at will always look like a featureless something, so the trick when out observing is to go beyond this and practice seeing - picking out features and textures. By practicing attentive sitting you come to notice more and more detail from the given object.

Other than that, it's just as the other's have said: take your time, appraise and praise your gear and then you'll have a better idea of where you want to go and how exactly you want to get there. Unless one is loaded, or just doesn't care, one ought not to upgrade on anything in astronomy until one knows they are missing out on something that is essential to their observing sessions and just as importantly when one knows how it can be improved upon and bettered.

Archived