Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron NexStar 6 (XLT) SE scope - any opinions?

Hi

My research into possible first 'scopes continues....anyone heard or know much about the <a href="http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3835&ItemID=30901">Celestron NexStar 6 (XLT) SE</a> SCT GoTo? As someone who's looking for

* a good general purpose scope for planetary and deep sky observing

* good portability

* something which would be OK for a first stab at astrophotography

then this looks to me to be a reasonable consideration....but would really appreciate any views people on here have!

thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, following much the same path as yourself I was left with three scope options:

C6_SGT, C6-SE or the C8-NGT, all excellent scopes, so why did I pick the C6-SGT, it's the same OTA as the SE but the mount is better, I'll leave you to look at the specs.

Theres a great review on the SE somewhere on this forum, equipment reviews, well it would be wouldn't it! :hello1:

If you pick the se your stuck with that set up, nothing wrong with that, but if you go for one of the others you have the option of using your mount with a different scope in the future. The SE will be easier to set up, so it up to you. Read the reviews, THING did a great one on his C8, I did a poor one on my C6-SGT and like I said theres a great one on the SE.

The best advice I got was the best scope for you is one that you will use, so:

1 are you using it in your back garden?

2 transporting it to a dark site?

3 a bit of both?

I'm a novice, but with the help of members on this forum I'm learning fast, so ask your questions, read the reviews, get advice from James/Steve at Firstlight and make your choice, you can't go far wrong.

You will need a power pack Ian whatever your choice.

Remember though, go and look at the scopes a 8inch reflector is large bud, but please do consider this option, I was 50/50 between the two for a long time.

Don't overlook the others makes!!!!

Post your option when you get it Ian. Good luck Dave :D

Hello

I believe the SE series allows the OTA to be removed from the fork arm, so you can use other telescopes with Vixen dovetails on the mount. You'll be more limited in scope weight than if you bought an equatorial mount, but the same mount is used for their 8" tubes. The Nexstar fork mount is also very light - you can pick up the mount, tripod and scope assembled in one go, which won't be possible with the equatorial.

Finally, there is a wedge available if you wanted to get into long exposure astrophotography, though I don't believe this is necessary for planetary/lunar imaging (haven't done any imaging myself).

Have fun deciding!

Hi Ian.

So many months back I was having the same problem looking for a 'portable' and near enough 'do all scope'. One of the contenders I looked at was the SE and I liked it very much, but in the end I chose the C6s-gt due to it having that bit more flexibilty. No question the Se is the 'more' portable, but how poratable does it need to be? I wouldn't take this size scope on a hike, so portable to me is can I carry it to and throw, whether its from my shed to the garden or to my car for nights away to dark field sites. Well, I always carry my C6 around fully set up and ready to go [ota/equatorial/tripod/accessories], except for car journeys where I seperate it into two to be on the safe side. Looking a bit more long term I would reccomend an equatorial scope, but if your requirements for now and for the forseeable are 'better' poratability and ease of use, then the SE is a good choice. Of course there are other scopes to throw into the mix, but thats someone else's story.....

Regards, Rob.

Hi Ian

I had one of these. Bought it in April 2007, and still have the OTA (which has lovely optics, BTW). It's portability and ease of use are massive plus points. I swapped the SE mount for a CG5-GT, mainly because it is an equatorial mount and therefore more suited for a first stab at deep sky astrophotography (still to be tried). I also like the beefiness of the CG5. Both mounts will take other scopes, but the SE mount limit is an 8" SCT (it wouldn't take a long tubed Newt or refractor) whereas the CG5 has a slightly higher load capacity and the clearance to take other types of scopes apart from SCT's. Having said that, the CG5 is less portable and takes longer to setup, as well as sometimes making you limbo dance to be able to look through the scope. The SE is fine for lunar and planetary imaging, but you really have to add in a wedge (more dosh) to take deep sky images, unless you restrict yourself to very short exposures.

Hope that helps, Martin

Hi Ian

it's a good scope and if you get it as your first you wont be disappointed,

its simple to set up once you've got the knack and the goto works quite well,

the trickiness of polar alignment is what swayed me in this direction

but like Martin we can allways change the mount later,one thing to be said tho

is get a decent power supply as it doesn't work on the AA batteries,

good luck choosing, Steve

thanks guys, very useful stuff (found the reviews elsewhere on the forum which were very helpful!) Have to say that of all the scopes I've looked at thus far, this one appears to have most of the things I'm looking for....will let you know if I decide to take the plunge!

Have been thinking about this, and am now edging more towards the C6-SGT (XLT) as some of you have mentioned...read some good things about the mount and tripod in Astronomy Now magazine too, which was encouraging!!

Do you still get the 10% discount at FLO if you're a member on SGL???

Friends of mine recently got a nexstar 4se. What a superb little scope! Even got its own wedge built in and is totally ASCOM compliant. And like has been said you can take the OTA off and use any scope vixen dovetail on it (within reason!)

Eddie

• 4 weeks later...

Archived