Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars vs New Telescope

Gary23

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking for a while about getting some new kit. I would like some advice as to whether I should buy some binoculars or a new Telescope.

A few years back I was given a 4" Newtonian for Christmas which started me on my way. I found it very good as an introduction to the hobby. To this day views of the Moon, Jupiter etc remind me why I started this hobby and keep me hooked. However I would like to try and get some better view. By which I mean being able to pick the moons of Jupiter out more easier, which is something I can do to a certain extent now but I would like some more detail. 

I tend to mainly do Lunar and Planetary observing and I've read people suggesting that Binoculars for Lunar and Planetary observing can be very good.  

Am I better saving up for a new Telescope or will a good pair of binoculars be more suitable for me?

I have seen Binoculars on Amazon for around £50 - £75. I have a tripod for a camera so the size of the binoculars isn't really and issue for me, providing I can mount them on that tripod. 

Happy New Year and Clear Skies,

Gary

Scope.

Binoculars are good for the nice wide views but the magnification is not present.

I use binoculars to "look around" with, or try to determine where things are for when I point a scope at them.

Any detail on Jupiter requires 50x or 60x as a minimum really, and Saturn more, that is not in the realm of binoculars for the normal budget.

You would need a fairly high power binocular telescope to obtain detailed views of the major planets, apart from the cost you would have to have them mounted so you would probably be better off with a telescope. If you got a 8" Dobsonian and a binoviewer you could have the best of both worlds at a reasonable price. :smiley:

Hi, I am a great advocate of the use and benefits of binoculars, but as others have said, if you specifically want something for good views of the moon and planets, I think you need a scope. I bought a Skywatcher 102 Mak for lunar observation - which it does brilliantly. I can mount it on my Celestron Eq mount - but it is also light enough and small enough to go on my photo tripod (admittedly a fairly sturdy one) which makes the whole plot pretty portable. The larger 127Mak is well known as a planet "killer". Another very cost effective scope that would do is the Skywatcher 900/90 mm refractor for which you will find good reviews. A good all rounder though would be 6" Dobsonian reflector which would not only give good views of moon planets but would have enough aperture to do justice to many  DSOs.

Thanks for the responses. I think from what you've all said I'm best looking for a new Telescope.

When I've been reading this forum I've noticed the 200p seems to be a very popular scope.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I would like to do some sort of photography. As I mentioned I mainly do lunar and plantary observing so it would presumably be with a webcam. I would like to in the future do some DSO but for the time being I'm happy with lunar and plantary.

Do I need a particular type of telescope for basic imaging? Or will I be able to do so with a dobsonian?

A 200p is very heavy and needs a substantial mount of at least an heq5. I have the 200p on an eq5 and think at times the weight stresses the mount. It's a great scope but due to weight is used less often than I would like. If you already have a 4" scope try basic imaging with that by connecting a dslr to it or afocal photography.

Best of luck.

Hi, I am a great advocate of the use and benefits of binoculars, but as others have said, if you specifically want something for good views of the moon and planets, I think you need a scope. I bought a Skywatcher 102 Mak for lunar observation - which it does brilliantly. I can mount it on my Celestron Eq mount - but it is also light enough and small enough to go on my photo tripod (admittedly a fairly sturdy one) which makes the whole plot pretty portable. The larger 127Mak is well known as a planet "killer". Another very cost effective scope that would do is the Skywatcher 900/90 mm refractor for which you will find good reviews. A good all rounder though would be 6" Dobsonian reflector which would not only give good views of moon planets but would have enough aperture to do justice to many  DSOs.

Sound advice imho Alfian. I like your choice of equipment too - Good flexibility without breaking the bank.

Archived