Clouds

I was wondering if the experienced astronomers on the forum could help me out with the problem of clouds.

Twice this week I have seen the clear skies darken and have taken my scope and other equipment out to set up in the garden. But on both occasions, just as I start observing, the clouds have closed in and the beautiful sky has disappeared behind the typical Manchester grey. So is there anything I should be doing to stop the clouds?

I have tried obsessively checking the weather forecast every 30 minutes to see what might happen. I have tried reverse psychology, telling everyone I'm not planning to take the scope out that evening, a and then suddenly dashing, hoping to fool the elements. Neither have these have had any success. I wonder if there's some sort of ritual sacrifice I could try, but the livestock section on the firstlightoptics website seems to be down at the moment!

Many thanks for any suggestions

Paul

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

well, that's the law of the Sod :)

At this time of year it seems pretty variable. I don't have any secrets but I usually have a good look around the sky to the horizons to see what's on it's way. 

Satellite images and forecasts help, as do the iphone/mobile apps. Nothing is infallible though.

I try to avoid nights of gusty or high winds as a starting point, as well as being tricky with the telescope they bring more unpredictable weather.

I've even had the misfortune of a brief shower after spending 30mins+  getting all setup. Rushed all the stuff indoors to find it was clear the rest of the night, yet I had no motivation to set it all up again for the second time of the night! :)

If you find a magic formula, do tell!

Great post Paul ;-)

It's normally a very scientific equation that causes cloud cover.

Let me explain it in simple laymans terms...

The proportion of cloud /clear sky is a direct product of new equipment purchased / used equipment sold on eBay or elsewhere...

To slightly muddy the water , there is also the input of the variable known as 'busted equipment' whereby if any astronomical device that may be broken or otherwise unavailable will always , without fail cause clear skies.

So in summary ... Buy gear = cloud

Sell gear = clear sky

Sell gear + lose/break gear = clear sky and good seeing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know if this is bad practice or not... but I set up in dusk yesterday and kept the telescope under a gazebo and covered in a plastic sheet to cool down, it was really cloudy but I'm glad I did it because during the clear breaks of which there were a few I managed some good views of Jupiter and its 4 Galilean moons and the Orion Nebula, in fairly windy conditions. Having said that, it's due heavy rain this evening so I'm not going to risk it.

there's three things i despise about this country...

1. tories.

2. the hyperinflated prices we pay for stuff... (just put 'astro' on a product for 100% mark-up or so it seems)

3. clouds

if it wasn't for having kids here, i'd move out of this dump of a country :D Southern Spain sounds good to me, plus, my youngest being half Puerto Rican with a classic latino temper and half her family having Spanish origins so at least she would be ok there... 

Setting aside emperical evidence of the larger the purchase of astronomical equipment, the larger the punishment, :D there was an interesting comment Ronin made the other day with regards to the British weather system...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/202964-i-hate-the-jetstream/?p=2148405

If I were you Dave, I'd up sticks and move whilst you have the chance - before your sprogs get too old and opinionated...(Don't ask me how I know this.)

If you've got capital, buy 100 acres and set up a Dark Sky Village. I'll put my name on the list for a tenancy. :D

The secret is to be up all night and stick your head out the window every 30 minutes to check the skies ;)

And if the clouds do roll in, my approach is usually go make a cuppa then see if they look like going away. Not uncommon to have a band of low, fast-moving cumulus that are over and gone within 10 minutes.

Setting aside emperical evidence of the larger the purchase of astronomical equipment, the larger the punishment, :D there was an interesting comment Ronin made the other day with regards to the British weather system...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/202964-i-hate-the-jetstream/?p=2148405

If I were you Dave, I'd up sticks and move whilst you have the chance - before your sprogs get too old and opinionated...(Don't ask me how I know this.)

If you've got capital, buy 100 acres and set up a Dark Sky Village. I'll put my name on the list for a tenancy. :D

it's crossed my mind often :D my daughters family have a several thousand acre ranch in the dominican republic... wonder if they'd mind me setting up a shack in the middle of it

Archived