NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

I have just joined the Stargazers Lounge, and thought I ought to introduce myself. I have a feeling I shall be a regular visitor here. Having been given a Telescope for christmas, I thought I had better find out about things in the skies and how to use my new equipment properly. I have always been interested but never got round to it.

I have a Skywatcher 114EQ1. Just set it up in the conservatory looked at some trees, WOW. Could use this for Bird watching.

I have a few books that I purchased a few years ago, Night Sky Star Finder by Collins, How to Identify Night Sky also by Collins and a book by Patrick Moore about the Universe. These books I bought just for looking into the sky as I lived in a place with nil light pollution in the New Forest. Sadly moved now into Southampton.

If anybody has any advice on my particular scope or what I should be reading, or more importantly, what I should be looking at, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Gary

Welcome.  "Turn Left at Orion" is a useful introduction to using a telescope, navigating your way around the sky and to what targets you might start with at given times of the year.  It's worth having a copy of Stellarium too.  Once you have the scope set up then Jupiter is definitely worth finding at the moment and has the advantage of being pretty much unmissable in the night sky.

James

Hello, welcome, I'm new here too. I would also recommend looking at Jupiter at the moment, too. I used my telescope for the first time last night and found Jupiter very easily within a couple of minutes (thinking it would take me ages being a bit of a novice). I started more seriously last year with a pair of binoculars (10x50) for finding my way around the sky and getting used to the constellations and where certain things are. As others have also mentioned, Stellarium is a great, useful tool. Some sky charts might be a bonus, unless they're in the books you have. I've just ordered a red torch for reading them whilst outdoors to preserve my night vision. I read that it's best to view from outside as opposed to through windows which can distort viewing. You could also try looking at the Pleiades (M45) which are easy to spot along with the Orion Nebula (M42) beneath the 3-star belt and often seen with the naked eye. Venus is bright in the early evening near the horizon, too.

Down loaded Stellarium, mmm I think I am gonna have to take a look when I have more time, looks a bit complicated. Going to find Jupiter if I can. Dont know if it is about at moment 1815hrs.

its very easy, wont take much practice and you will be wizzing around it

Archived