Jupiter weird colours

Just recently joined (and very warmly welcomed thank you very much).

I have still been using my 30 x spotting scope, on Jupiter over the last few nights (nice and clear in Suffolk).

We can easily see the 4 major moons, and I can just struggle to see to distinct dark horizontal bands across Jupiter.

However, my wife noticed that Jupiter appears to be coloured blue-ish and red-ish, and when I looked I understood what she meant. It appears to be some sort of optical problem. Is this chromatic aborhation (or suchlike), and is there a solution (or is it just a limitation of the scope)?

Can be either chromatic aberration in the scope, or if you were viewing quite early when Jupiter was low in the east atmospheric dispersion. Test by moving the scope to put the image of Jupiter in different places in the field of view. Aberrations due to the scope will change (and the view will generally be best with Jupiter centred), atmospheric dispersion will stay the same.

Well, the SkyWatcher 200P duly arrived this morning (what a beast!), and has been easily assembled.

It is significantly larger than the impression given in the photos on-line, and I keep having to laugh at my wife as she shakes her head in disbelief every time she walks past it!

This really is a major and impressive piece of hardware, and I have managed a rough align (need a bit more distance to get an accurate one). All systems looking good so far (except the clouds of course, sorry everybody).

I can't wait to get the chance to use it in anger.

Thanks to all the posts and advice and guides on this site, absolutely invaluable.

You (and the missus) will not be disappointed!

Have fun.

well, a quick half hour tonight (observing :smiley: ).

the field of view is incredibly narrow, meaning that targeting can be frustrating, but I'm sure we will get better with practice.

the supplied 25 wide was great for general viewing, easy to use, but the 10mm produced a welcome "zoom".

We quickly checked out Jupiter, and my wife saw the bands with ease (and there was none of the CA experienced with the spotting scope).

However, slewing across to M42 was a revelation! We had never seen anything like that, and we were both awe struck - we will return!

Final note from me is the completely counter intuitive left-right and up-down movement required! I really struggled and every time went the wrong way first time and had to back up to correct. I guess this is something else we will get used to in the end.

FANTASTIC!

If you need wider views get a 32mm plossl, it will produce the maximum field of view without having to resort to 2" eyepieces, and it should be quite affordable. Download software called stellarium to get an idea what you are looking at. 

Well, the SkyWatcher 200P duly arrived this morning (what a beast!), and has been easily assembled.

It is significantly larger than the impression given in the photos on-line, and I keep having to laugh at my wife as she shakes her head in disbelief every time she walks past it!

This really is a major and impressive piece of hardware, and I have managed a rough align (need a bit more distance to get an accurate one). All systems looking good so far (except the clouds of course, sorry everybody).

I can't wait to get the chance to use it in anger.

Thanks to all the posts and advice and guides on this site, absolutely invaluable.

At least with that sized beasty you will not get it confused with the spotting scope.. ;-)

Enjoy.

well, a quick half hour tonight (observing :smiley: ).

the field of view is incredibly narrow, meaning that targeting can be frustrating, but I'm sure we will get better with practice.

the supplied 25 wide was great for general viewing, easy to use, but the 10mm produced a welcome "zoom".

We quickly checked out Jupiter, and my wife saw the bands with ease (and there was none of the CA experienced with the spotting scope).

However, slewing across to M42 was a revelation! We had never seen anything like that, and we were both awe struck - we will return!

Final note from me is the completely counter intuitive left-right and up-down movement required! I really struggled and every time went the wrong way first time and had to back up to correct. I guess this is something else we will get used to in the end.

FANTASTIC!

Congratulations for picking the best performance/value for money scope on the planet.

As Dobsonians do not track you will find it easier to use if you buy some wide angle eyepieces - these will reduce the amount of nudging you have to do. BST Explorers have a good reputation and cost just £50 each but there are others.

Jupiter will still show CA if you observe it when it close to the horizon - for best results observe Jupiter when it is at it's highest - that way you are looking through less atmosphere and will see much more detail. BTW the little stars close to Jupiter are it's 4 largest moons.

You have already found the Orion nebula (M42) - another good target as soon as it gets dark is he Andromeda Galaxy.

As ITMO says download Stellarium - it's a free planetarium program and it's very good.

Clear skies.

You will probably want to look at getting a telrad and riser , and a correct image 90 deg finder scope (50mm or larger) . Those two items will make star hopping and locating things a dream.

It's a great scope. I've had mine for just over a month now and I love it.

If you're looking at upgrading eyepieces, I can highly recommend the BST "Starguiders" from Sky's The Limit. Will cost you £49 but they're a nice upgrade over the (decent) supplied eyepieces.

Archived