Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Complete novice... Can't see a thing!!

poodles

I'm embarrassed to ask this but also impatient and eager to start (hopefully) stargazing!

I've just set up my Celestron Astromaster 130 telescope and should be good to go, but when I look I see nothing. Maybe a white glow almost like I'm looking at a light through paper if that makes sense. I've moved it around and still nothing.

Please tell me I'm missing something silly and that this is just a novice blip!!!

Do you know the constellation Casseiopia ?

If so point the scope at it.

Then with the 25mm eyepiece in slowly adjust the focus.

Hopefully as some stage (easily missed) some stars will appear as lots of points.

I say Casseiopia as this is in the Milky Way and that is a lot of stars, the idea being even if close you should get some in view to focus with. Aim for the middle of it not either end.

P.S. All the covers are off, and not seeing anything actually occurs quite often. You ain't the first and you won't be the last. Wait until Star Gazing Live is over and there will be lots asking the same.

I managed to focus on some distant trees lol. I think my aim is way off on actual stars as I just can't get them in view. I really am learning from nothing so I've ordered a couple of books, downloaded a couple of apps and will try to crack it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a good time for the Moon this week, but it is a good first target to practice on because it's so hard to miss.  Make sure the finder is aligned with the scope (you can do that during the day) and use that to check your positioning.  That should help a fair bit.

James

look in the thin end....

Sorry - ive had a glass too many  :drunken_smilie: 

seriously though, if you can get a tree in focus that's a good start. Trees and stars need a remarkably different focus point so keep twiddling the focusser. Further, your main scope and your finder scope might be slightly out of alignment. Easy to fix: refocus the main scope until you get a star visible in the main scope... then twiddle the little alignment screws on the view finder/little scope until the little scope's crosshairs points to the same star you see in the main scope (pick a big bright star and its easier) Job done, so now when you use the little scope/ view finder for rough alignment, the star will be near as dammit in the field of view of your main scope.

How do I know this? Bitter experience!!! A very warm welcome to the DoH! club Poodles.

Archived